Switch from A to B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CR1

May 8, 2016
Wondering if there are issues changing from an A team to B from fall to spring or summer (not right in the middle of a season). I wouldn't have thought so but read some older comments that said you could not do it. We are in California. My DD is trying to choose between a good B team and lesser A team. One thought was to try A and go to B if we didn't like it.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2016
I know ASA rules are strict on this, during the same season once you start playing A you can't go lower. I'm not sure however, when the ASA year ends, not sure if it is calendar or they follow some other rules.

I was looking for this because my DD played A during regular Summer season, then she got invited by a former coach to play a single tournament with a B team. We got this cleared with former A team coach. She played, so I'm guessing ASA was OK, because they check and verify rosters before the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know ASA rules are strict on this, during the same season once you start playing A you can't go lower. I'm not sure however, when the ASA year ends, not sure if it is calendar or they follow some other rules.

I was looking for this because my DD played A during regular Summer season, then she got invited by a former coach to play a single tournament with a B team. We got this cleared with former A team coach. She played, so I'm guessing ASA was OK, because they check and verify rosters before the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In CA, ASA-B and -C are rec/league ball. Players on ASA-A teams (A is travel ball) can play on B or C teams. However, those players must stop playing on their A team by March 30, or will not be eligible for B/C tournament play (all-stars, Districts, States, Nationals). ASA is based on calendar year.

As I have come to understand it, ASA rules vary across the country.

CR1

May 8, 2016
It seems that if she switched before the new year then the calendar requirement would reset. So the next year would be fine.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am guessing this is more a is this right question then a rules question.

If players didn't switch or move Teams there would be no Teams out there, certainly no A Teams.

The way the OP described it sounds great to me and the way it should be done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez