Swing Video Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 5, 2014
There's a lot of her swing I like quite a lot - no bug squish, no arm-powered DBSF pattern, some significant early bat speed, and she seems to be using the rear hip pretty well.

Get her front leg working correctly with the knee staying inside the ankle, and her hands moving out-from rear shoulder (not a tight left-turn around the torso), and I think she's not far away from a really good swing.

One of the tee-work drills I use with young girls who do the quick-left-turn with the hands is to have them extend their arms forward and point the bat at the pitcher. In this drill, I make sure they are getting a proper turn with their lower body and torso (belly button to the pitcher, too) so their arm action stays connected to their torso rotation.

Agree on all points....I do the same drill with my guys. We call them "Extension Swings". We have another 2-step drill that checkpoints shaft-to-shoulder, then power v. We work them to all fields(pull side, middle, oppo). These help teach the front arm to work correctly.

Bat throws work well also. Have her throw the bat directly over the pitcher/SS/2B head with the bat rotating on about a 30-45 degree angle. The only way to make this happen is a proper release. On bat throws, start middle, then oppo, then pull side.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Mags_zps745ded00.gif

Jun 18, 2010
IMO, your DD's swing in that last video looks much better than the first.

In the last video, her swing looks pretty good especially for a 10U!.

What I was trying to show was:
1. I prefer a more vertical barrel. BHUT - Bottom Hand Under Top. IMO feel that promotes a better barrel turn. I have DD start with the knob of the bat pointing down, if there were a laser beam coming out of the knob, it would point about 1' behind the back point of home plate. As she FbCs (Forward by Coil) she "rocks the U" (another way of saying loads her hands), and the knob ends up pointing back (laser again) at the catcher's outside knee.

cabu_zps677feefa.gif

TrainLeavingTheStation2.gif

2. I added the triangle to show how good that part of her swing was, except she kind of looses it at the end and slightly collapses on the front side.

3. As her front foot comes down as a result of the stride I try to look for this position as a check point.

image039.gif

Tell her good job and keep up the good work.

Edit: Make sure she understands the load is around her rear hip and not to fool herself that over rotating her shoulders back is a load. My DD got into a bad habit taking a lot of tee swings where she was trying to muscle the hit and she was practically turning her back to the pitcher.... she was loading her shoulders instead of around rear hip/leg.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really like Knightsb's post. If you focus on the "rock the u" portion of his advice, it may take care of some of the other things. Such as the breakdown in the triangle. IMO she is doing more things right than not. Have fun!

Feb 3, 2014
Thanks guys, I had to look up the "rock the u", found it and it looks like a great cue that she should pick up pretty quick. We will start there and I am anxious to see if it helps her to maintain the triangle and not let the front arm break down. Going to work on some front arm drills as well. Thanks for all your help, we will see you in a few weeks to update progress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877