Swing Video Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2014
Hi all,

I posted my 11 yr old DD's swing here a few weeks ago and received some great advice. We have been working on turning the barrel to eliminate some serious bat drag. I think we have improved. I know there is a hesitation between the stride and the launch. I think she will get rid of that as the movements become more natural. She can finish better as we'll. Looking for some advice on where we are and what we need to focus on improving next.

YouTube

Mar 5, 2014
You've got to stop her from jumping out on that front foot. That is a major no-no. If a pitcher who can change speeds gets you out on your front foot, you're toast. Weight shouldn't shift to front leg until go. Should be a shift and swing not shift then swing.

She also takes a hard left through the zone and the finish looks forced/uncomfortable. It looks like she's just locking her arms and trying to rotate like heck to power the bat.

Look at some of the pictures that were posted in this thread and compare them to how her release looks....
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/18145-palm-up-palm-down-through-extension-7.html

Does she receive hitting instruction?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You've got to stop her from jumping out on that front foot. That is a major no-no. If a pitcher who can change speeds gets you out on your front foot, you're toast. Weight shouldn't shift to front leg until go. Should be a shift and swing not shift then swing.

What do you mean by ''Weight shouldn't shift to front leg until go''? By ''go,'' do you mean the point at which the swing is launched?

I assume that this is a drill and not the actual swing. I've seen the drill used by those who do advocate getting out on the front leg while bat and shoulders remain back. I'm not qualified to debate what's best, but I'm not convinced this is a problem as long as the center of gravity doesn't get too far out front. Those who use this drill want a lot of hip rotation and for the backside to ''gain ground.'' This subject in the original post is getting her knee over her ankle. That's too far for a 'real' swing, but for a drill, it could highlight how some teach the legs and hips to work, how to hit off firm front side, etc.

Note in the swing below how far forward that Hanley Ramirez's knee goes. Not quite over the ankle, but way out there. But he keeps his center of gravity in good position.

If this drill is being taught to this player, then I suspect Ramirez's swing is a model.

Mar 5, 2014
What do you mean by ''Weight shouldn't shift to front leg until go''? By ''go,'' do you mean the point at which the swing is launched?

I assume that this is a drill and not the actual swing. I've seen the drill used by those who do advocate getting out on the front leg while bat and shoulders remain back. I'm not qualified to debate what's best, but I'm not convinced this is a problem as long as the center of gravity doesn't get too far out front. Those who use this drill want a lot of hip rotation and for the backside to ''gain ground.'' This subject in the original post is getting her knee over her ankle. That's too far for a 'real' swing, but for a drill, it could highlight how some teach the legs and hips to work, how to hit off firm front side, etc.

Note in the swing below how far forward that Hanley Ramirez's knee goes. Not quite over the ankle, but way out there. But he keeps his center of gravity in good position.

If this drill is being taught to this player, then I suspect Ramirez's swing is a model.

I think he mistimed the pitch a little(was early) as evidenced by the amount of sit after his front foot plants.

Here is a swing where the weight shift is much more 'normal'

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2014
And another....in both swings, the swing is launched before the front foot is fully weighted.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2014
Her HI does promote ground gain and we do practice one drill that gets the knee over the ankle. It's an exaggerated drill to help her achieve the ground gain. I think the pause she has between the stride and launch is allowing her to get the knee fully over the ankle. I think she is pausing as we are focusing on keeping the hands back and leading with the hip. Her game swing stride isn't supposed to be as exaggerated. We are working on only one or two things at a time. Right now it's keeping the hands from leading the swing and turning the barrel.

Is has finish a little better?

http://youtu.be/rcb5L6Wa5uU

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Does she receive hitting instruction?

Almost looks like the instruction this girl has received was from someone advocating a reverse pivot.

v6tekg.gif

Mar 5, 2014
IMO...a hitter should only gain ground especially head movement if they're slapping. Good traditional hitters keep their knees inside their feet throughout the swing. All the way from the initial load/coil to follow through. It's a bad indicator if the knee ever gets over or outside the foot in front or back.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877