Swing video Eval 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2014
Hi all,

DD and I have been working on a few things lately, mainly her load and extension. Looking for some feedback on where we are as a whole. I see that she isn't getting the inside load on the rear leg when she loads. Gets too far back with the knee over the ankle. Not sure if I should be too concerned with that stirring motion she does with her hands when she loads. Not sure where it came from but to me it is wasted motion on one hand and on the other it could be a style thing that makes no difference. Looking for some feed back both good and bad.

Http://youtu.be/Qjsu9oUDlhA

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Pretty solid swing for a young lady.

First, her knee over the ankle…I don't think she gets too far back. With me I would have her turn her leg inward though….rotate the whole thing. My dd is even a bit pigeon toed in her stance. The purpose is to to tighten the coil between her rear leg and upper half. I don't have any problem with your daughters pre swing hand action either. Kind of a rhythm thing…I like it.

The other thing besides the rear leg I would have your daughter do…or undo, is the front leg pre-swing reach out, or "stride" as common folk might say. I bit of front leg action is ok, but if you watch the best hitters that common folk say "stride", it is not so much a front leg stride, but their whole body is moving out. A move out controlled by the rear leg. I say "there is a triangle between from your rear thigh to your belly button and down to your front thigh. The rear leg moves the whole unit out. This, like the rear leg turned in a bit, is to keep the coil between the rear leg and upper body.

A couple things to look at with Evan's swing. 1. he starts right over his rear leg, not that I would tell everyone to do that, but like I said earlier with your dd, I don't see it as a problem. 2. His "stride". His front leg comes out slightly, but for the most part, it is a "move out" of his whole body controlled by the rear leg. 3. Most important is as he is coming forward…he is going back. See if you can watch him and make sense of that. That is 1 of 2…maybe 3 key points that make the best…..the best.
LongoriaHR.gif

Little more (watched her again)…she turns the barrel…RIGHT NOW! That is great! Just work on the rear leg to upper body coil and that hip coil (many accuse me of taking in riddles, but when you feel it, that is a great description)…work on that coil and the rear leg/hip will grab that barrel from behind her and launch it long through the zone much more efficiently and powerfully than her arms or upper body ever could.
Her swing has some pretty exciting potential. One of those nice cut diamonds that just need a little light polishing over time to really gleam.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Judging by where the tee was placed(I would move it back a little more towards the back of the plate) in reference to the plate your DD swing should be closer to these swings:
5vwy36.gif

BustosOutFrom1.gif

I would like to see more of a 'out from' her body swing.
2evzptd.gif

MannySwivel.gif

Then an 'around' her body swing.
I still keep thinking that where your DD's hitting area is may be effecting her swing and swing path. I understand space is limited but, it seems like her swing could be 'different' if not for the 'limitations.

Mar 5, 2014
I see an over-dominant top hand. My youngest son suffers from the same flaw with the same result(rollover and pull off the ball). I like rdbass' suggestion on the oppo tee drill. Also, the top hand has to learn to work underneath the bottom. Her top hand is overpowering and overtaking her bottom hand. Look at the Manny gif above how the top hand works under the bottom.

Here's Cabrera in slo-mo. Same thing here top hand works under the bottom in a proper release. Have her see if she can replicate this slowly. Stop where the Cabrera gif stops. Get the feel of releasing top hand under the bottom. Like Ted Williams said in the Science of Hitting video on youtube, swinging a bat is like swinging an axe at a tree. You can see Cabrera and Manny chopping down the tree.

Miggy_barrel_turn_slow_zpsd0d1a921.gif

Currently, I see her top hand working more like this:
nadal_zpscd4f6d23.gif

magstophand_zps3ae56693.gif

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2014
Thanks guys!

Bama, We are working on some front arm stuff and she has gotten a little better with the extension but not where we want it to be. We have a heavy bag, we will work on getting the top hand working under the bottom.

RD you are probably correct about the space, unfortunately it is all I got until it warms up. Old houses = low basement ceilings. Hopefully it warms up in the next week or two and we can get the cage up outside. We have talked about getting the elbow slotted out away from her body a little further. (I think that's what you are referring to) Believe it or not she has improved as it used to be tucked in tight against her hip.

Redhot, thanks for the great feedback we just introduced an idea, that FFS posted in a thread earlier this week, with her using the idea of resisting the hip turn to help get the lower back muscles involved more in the load/coil and launch. Just a different cue to help her understand and activate the correct muscles. We will see if it helps?

We appreciate all the help guys, we will get back to work tomorrow and post back in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Same thing here top hand works under the bottom in a proper release. Have her see if she can replicate this slowly.
Watch the hands. Watch how the hands 'stay' at the shoulders/armpits until release.
HPP2.gif

StealthDrill.gif

Snap stop/Swivel.^^^^^^^^^^^
magstophand_zps3ae56693.gif

MannySwivel.gif

Believe it or not she has improved
I see improvement. Your DD has a good swing. 'Our' suggestions will hopefully give your DD a better swing.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
mag_zps68f7f113.gif

Coil the rear hip, resist with the rear hip and back. The release will launch her barrel….out from her body, not around….and she will have a not have any of the visual problems…or the need to continually plug the next hole in the swing for years.

Good luck.

Mar 5, 2014
mag_zps68f7f113.gif

Coil the rear hip, resist with the rear hip and back. The release will launch her barrel….out from her body, not around….and she will have a not have any of the visual problems…or the need to continually plug the next hole in the swing for years.

Good luck.

I think she's doing a pretty good job with rear side resistance, or she wouldn't end up in the reverse C shape she does at finish. I agree she could coil as she moves out a little better, but total concentration on bottom half is not going to fix her top half issue. JMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877