Swing out from the body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Of course there is a merry-go-round. Who told you there isn't?

What are you referring to when you speak of merry-go-round?

Do the hips open towards the pitcher? Do the shoulders open to the pitcher? Or does the turning rear leg make them appear to do so?

Ferris Wheel
C67TNX8.gif

Is anything above Cabrera's rear leg turning left like a merry-go-round?
tumblr_ot77x9MPAS1usf292o1_400.gif

Ferris Wheel

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What are you referring to when you speak of merry-go-round?

Do the hips open towards the pitcher? Do the shoulders open to the pitcher? Or does the turning rear leg make them appear to do so?

Ferris Wheel
C67TNX8.gif

Is anything above Cabrera's rear leg turning left like a merry-go-round?
tumblr_ot77x9MPAS1usf292o1_400.gif

Ferris Wheel

You have the same forces working in the swing, as you have in the merry-go-round. If you get thrown off the merry go round because you are on the edge and you let go, that is similar to what happens in the swing. The merry go round is trying to throw you off it. It doesn't like you. On the other hand you are trying to throw the barrel. The same forces are involved. The barrel gets thrown out.

As 5frames would say, around and along, short to (rotation) and long through (linear). The merry go round in action, similar to the gif shown with the scissors cutting the string that is rotating.

An I don't buy that the hips and shoulders are not used in the swing.

BTW, The gif of Cabrera is a great example.

Dec 4, 2013
You have the same forces working in the swing, as you have in the merry-go-round. If you get thrown off the merry go round because you are on the edge and you let go, that is similar to what happens in the swing. The merry go round is trying to throw you off it. It doesn't like you. On the other hand you are trying to throw the barrel. The same forces are involved. The barrel gets thrown out.

As 5frames would say, around and along, short to (rotation) and long through (linear). The merry go round in action, similar to the gif shown with the scissors cutting the string that is rotating.

An I don't buy that the hips and shoulders are not used in the swing.

BTW, The gif of Cabrera is a great example.

That's why I asked what you are referring to when you say merry-go-round. It sounds like you are referring to barrel path. I am referring to the action of the upper half (hips and above), not the barrel path.

I never said they hips and shoulders are not used. They are a part of the process, my view of their role is most likely different then yours though....

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That's why I asked what you are referring to when you say merry-go-round. It sounds like you are referring to barrel path. I am referring to the action of the upper half (hips and above), not the barrel path.

I never said they hips and shoulders are not used. They are a part of the process, my view of their role is most likely different then yours though....

No I'm not talking about barrel path.:cool:

I should have said merry-go-round effect.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I think we are being too literal about the axis of the merry-go-round.. :). Regardless of axis, my understanding of what Shawn is referring to is imagine being on a merry-go-round and being thrown off. At the point the person is thrown off, is the action in the swing that is being referred to as "out from" the body. And when referring to the merry-go-round, I think Shawn just used that to explain "out from" the body, not the entirety of the swing action.. not sure I could be wrong about that 1

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
I think we are being too literal about the axis of the merry-go-round.. :). Regardless of axis, my understanding of what Shawn is referring to is imagine being on a merry-go-round and being thrown off. At the point the person is thrown off, is the action in the swing that is being referred to as "out from" the body. And when referring to the merry-go-round, I think Shawn just used that to explain "out from" the body, not the entirety of the swing action.. not sure I could be wrong about that 1

It seems kind of vague. What specific actions does one have to perform do duplicate the process you described?

I believe the torso does everything in its power to NOT be a merry-go-round....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As a kid I enjoyed playing on merry-go-rounds. I recall the feeling of letting go and being flung from a merry-go-round.

It may be my particular focal areas, but to me the swing does not have the feel of letting go from a merry-go-round.

It isn’t like the swing is a steady rotation of the shoulders and you suddenly release from that rotation. A good swing is a energy transfer process. Each link is being used/robbed to support the next link. It flows. For example, as a hitter is in the process of throwing the barrel, they will have their body’s rotation dampened/paused as it supports the throwing process … and the resumption of the body’s rotation after the throw is simply due to the body’s release as the object then pulls them along into further rotation.

Ted_Williams_Shoulder_Rot_Stalls.gif

Apr 11, 2015
I think we are being too literal about the axis of the merry-go-round.. :).
Yes, I agree...leave the carnival rides where they belong, and the SB/BB diamond is not one of them. But if you have to have a carnival to picture it, try this one.....
6lfAina.gif

Hope you can see the two engines turn around two separate axises (rear hip, and hands), and not just the single axis of a merry-go-round, or ferris wheel.

May 12, 2016
It seems kind of vague. What specific actions does one have to perform do duplicate the process you described?

I believe the torso does everything in its power to NOT be a merry-go-round....

Cutrope.jpg

"out from" the body occurs at the point where the scissors cut. Of course this all depends on pitch location, ideally scissors would cut earlier on an outside pitch and later on an inside pitch. And this diagram is not 3D, so it does not take into account lateral tilt. If it was 3D the axis would tilt depending on pitch location as well, remain more parallel with the ground on a high pitch while steepening the angle as the pitch gets lower.

Sigh the animated gifs never work for me :)

https://static.diffen.com/uploadz/8/8d/Cutrope.gif

BTW, I am not talking about torso here. I'm just trying to illustrate "out from" the body

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles