Swing out from the body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Swinging 'out from' the body is easier to see on an outside pitches. Such as this:
tumblr_ot77x9MPAS1usf292o1_400.gif

Swinging 'around' the body is when the bat/barrel/hands/arms follow the shoulders around on all pitches.
Unlike this swing 'out from' or long through.
tumblr_otxd2egLoQ1usf292o1_500.gif

I always thought that out from the body meant proper extension
Getting good extension or long through the ball is a result of swinging 'out from' the body and not around the body.
People on here are talking about outside pitches and swinging out from the body, it reminds me of casting
I'll try and find a gif of 'casting' of the hands.
Casting is releasing the hinge angle early creating a long angle before the barrel gets into the hitting zone.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Swinging 'out from' the body is easier to see on an outside pitches. Such as this:
tumblr_ot77x9MPAS1usf292o1_400.gif

Swinging 'around' the body is when the bat/barrel/hands/arms follow the shoulders around on all pitches.
Unlike this swing 'out from' or long through.
tumblr_otxd2egLoQ1usf292o1_500.gif

Getting good extension or long through the ball is a result of swinging 'out from' the body and not around the body.

I'll try and find a gif of 'casting' of the hands.
Casting is releasing the hinge angle early creating a long angle before the barrel gets into the hitting zone.

Thanks RD, that's the way I understand it as well. I know what casting is, I was just referencing it because some of the descriptions on here of swinging "out" from the body were confusing me and reminding me of casting to a certain point

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I understand it better myself.Thanks Rdbass, 5frames and others.

So basically swinging out from the body is getting off the merry-go-round. Swinging around the body is staying on the merry-go-round.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

So basically swinging out from the body is getting off the merry-go-round. Swinging around the body is staying on the merry-go-round.

That's a nice way of putting it :)

Dec 4, 2013

if5Hjpn.gif

There is no merry-go-round in the high level swing to get off. For a RH batter there is a bottom gear turning counter clockwise and a top gear turning rearward....

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
It's a Jug's machine set to throw a curveball... Make those wheels turn...
So which gear do you adjust for an outside pitch? the lower gear or the upper gear?

Dec 4, 2013
It's a Jug's machine set to throw a curveball... Make those wheels turn...
So which gear do you adjust for an outside pitch? the lower gear or the upper gear?

Neither. Your vertical gear will still fall into your lower gear on all locations.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad