Swing Mechanics Help (Please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2019
Hi everyone. I was hoping for feedback/help regarding one of my girls swings. At the beginning of our season she was killing the ball. hard line drives, hard grounders, and some deep balls. I was trying to upload a video but I don't think this forum allows it (it would make this question much easier). Anyway, I'm trying to give her advice but I don't want to be wrong and mess her up more. The things I've noticed is she no longer has a level swing (uppercutting), she is dropping her back shoulder when she moves her hands back before the swing, and all of her weight stays on her back foot. I realize some hitters keep their weight on their back foot and do fine so I dont think this is effecting her being able to make contact. But, I'm not sure about the non-level swing and dropping her shoulder would be making her contact fall apart so bad. Could I please get some advice from coaches who have seen this, have been through this, and how they got through it? Thanks everyone.

I was able to link a video of her swing on youtube. This is it here:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Google JDs swing in slo-mo.
Have her hit long tee where she can see trajectory for [90 to 100 feet. She should be able to hit line drives 100 ft carry. When she can she will have found her swing.

Aug 20, 2017
Create a YouTube account, upload video to it, copy link and insert here using the paper clip looking thing when typing post. Gonna need video

Jun 8, 2016
Great video, thank you. From you response it sounds like there are multiple issues then. I guess we can start here and build on it.
Well I was just posting the video RH mentioned but yes there are a few issues including the ones RH talked about. As RH mentioned, your DD needs to learn to use her core to generate bat speed through coiling (bringing back pocket torwards pitcher) and pulling back with her upper back (think about elbowing somebody behind you) as she moves out.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Here is her stride to toe touch.

When any hitter opens their hips, they begin to swing forward. IOW, the elbow goes down and the shoulders drop.

You should NOT open your hips during the stride. This is causing all the problems.

Notice at toe touch, her elbow drop (good is up/flat), her rear forearm is vertical (good is flat/level), and her shoulders are upside down (good is level or opposite).

Here is what she should look like at toe touch.

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back foot - coil in as you're going forward.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then add in, pull the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then add in, make sure the rear foearm is flat. To make sure the hands are not too far away, an easy check is to make sure an extended rear thumb can touch the shoulder or armpit.

If you learn this, you can teach her. She can do this drill for a lifetime to make sure she's doing it right.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019
View attachment 14707

Here is her stride to toe touch.

When any hitter opens their hips, they begin to swing forward. IOW, the elbow goes down and the shoulders drop.

You should NOT open your hips during the stride. This is causing all the problems.

Notice at toe touch, her elbow drop (good is up/flat), her rear forearm is vertical (good is flat/level), and her shoulders are upside down (good is level or opposite).

Here is what she should look like at toe touch.
View attachment 14708

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back foot - coil in as you're going forward.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then add in, pull the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then add in, make sure the rear foearm is flat. To make sure the hands are not too far away, an easy check is to make sure an extended rear thumb can touch the shoulder or armpit.

If you learn this, you can teach her. She can do this drill for a lifetime to make sure she's doing it right.

WOW, thank you. That's great advice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole