Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
What is interesting is that you and TDS have written many posts and have struggled greatly to have your model of the swing well understood ... at times leading the two of you to go on a spree of deleting posts. If you understand the process so well, then why has it taken so long? Why all the deleted posts?

Young hitter trying to put together swing mechanics form FFS 11,723 post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

157585167[1].jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nice try Five.. "the truth" At the time of the bb/a$$ discussions some of us were trying to share the core movement pattern and folks weren't having it... So it was kind of like fu!@em there loss.. Since that time folks have been more open to hear more about it.

No I don't view turn the barrel (dump it) the same as working the barrel.. Working the barrel is an ulnar/radial deviation movement within the sagittal plane..

I'm not relating to your attitude of perceiving to give good information, and then deleting that information as a "fu!@em there loss". You personally have done this on multiple occasions ... and again, it isn't something I can relate to. If the information is good, then folks will find it, work on understanding it, and have a source to go back to. Who cares if there are some that voice a question to your advice? Good information has a way of resurfacing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm not relating to your attitude of perceiving to give good information, and then deleting that information as a "fu!@em there loss". You personally have done this on multiple occasions ... and again, it isn't something I can relate to. If the information is good, then folks will find it, work on understanding it, and have a source to go back to. Who cares if there are some that voice a question to your advice? Good information has a way of resurfacing.

Five, wrong again.. Why can't you handle the truth ? Some of us have been using and teaching this movement pattern for a couple years now..

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Five, wrong again.. Why can't you handle the truth ? Some of us have been using and teaching this movement pattern for a couple years now..

TDS, what I wrote was truthful.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
the descriptions and discussions are good. The more ways we find to describe the same actions, the greater the probability that these actions will sink in with folks.

That's why I'm enjoying the discussion.....hope it continues.

"the truth" At the time of the bb/a$$ discussions some of us were trying to share the core movement pattern and folks weren't having it... So it was kind of like fu!@em there loss..
Guilty.:eek:

This last 2-3 days has been the most info posted on A$$/BB, core movement pattern. Thanks to all involved.
Happy New Year!

May 3, 2014
And hopefully we continue to flesh out the details and cues that get our hitters moving better. All I have simply tried to convey is that the core movement pattern is unique to using the rear leg or focusing on turning the barrel. It takes getting used to and requires a level of trust.

IE - laterally bending on the lead side using the inner core muscles attached to the spine that move out to other larger muscles instead of vice versa.

Learning how to release that initial bend so that it transfers into the rear side spinal bend

And laterally bending to the rear side and allowing the rear shoulder to be pulled down outside the rear hip instead of rushing it forwards.

This is completely relearning a motor pattern. Not easy.

And while I understand what is meant by laterally tilting - the word tilting makes it sound like a shoulder move. Bending explains it better. Spinal bending even better.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Understanding both legs are absolutely involved in this pattern seems to still be one of the biggest hurdles to over come. Some still make no mention of the front leg giving the impression that there is still some learning to do.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You’ll see similar actions in many athletic movements, including throwing, windmill pitching, etc. In prior posts I’ve described this as the act of thoracic extension. It is a big part of the throwing process, providing upper body resistance and stability.

dvrnk6.gif

OK, Now if you take this pitcher, and exact same starting point for each pitch, throw the ball into the first base dugout.

Now throw the ball into the third base dugout.

What are the directional components that are missing if any, in the lower body dynamics?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, I use the queue "work the barrel"(within the sagittal plane) constantly.. I want that to be synced up with the core/spine movements. So as the student begins to move correctly the hands should follow that movement not lead it.

My latest comments on stick's DD's is tied to the clips from behind... I would agree 100% with you on the frontal plane actions of the younger DD. Which IMO is caused by the rear leg being in control vs the core. The older DD has some of the sagittal plane movements we are looking for.

Exactly what I was getting at...sorry I was so short...was getting ready for New Years...CP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877