Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Hopefully this answers the question. The rear leg, IMO, must be reactionary in its final usage. You can think of the rear leg as a brace if you will, for the torso to work on.

LOL - just a different way to say the legs support the actions of the core which has been said a hundred times here.

As TJ said - you are starting to see something you couldn't see before but you are clawing your fingernails into past beliefs afraid to let go...

Let me save you some trouble - any focus on the rear leg or FbC while trying to implement a core based approach is a time waster and not compatible. Trust me on this.

And as long as you keep viewing the swing in 2D terms ala Yeager - the mystery will elude you.

bufKlF.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
After the FbC phase there is a transitional phase. The lower body transitions out of FbC as the barrel is still going back (i.e., preparing to throw).

The last phase is (or at least should be) reactionary. The rear leg will complete the shift in a forceful manner (as measured by pressure plates). This will occur not by thinking about your rear leg, but by simply ‘reacting’ to the act of “turning-the-barrel”/”working-the-barrel”. Good hitters need only think about their rear leg to get their motion going forward (even with a no-stride approach), and from there they can be completely focused on their hands … as many pros are.

Synchronization between the upper and lower body is key in the swing. One could force their hips/rear-leg and totally bypass the key synchronization. Not a good idea IMO.

Synchronization becomes perfectly timed when you allow the rear leg to ‘react’ in the last phase usage of the rear leg.

To all,

Does the forward motion (frontal plane) require pushing from the rear leg, or would it occur without the pushing? To me, the most important and confusing part of the swing is the ability to time a moving pitch. What things (muscles, etc) are utilized in order to control the body in order to time the pitch? I tend to think along the lines of dynamic balance. With the key being the control of certain muscles in order to maintain the dynamic balance while the body is moving. IMO, much of this discussion revolves around that particular aspect of the swing. How is FbC utilized to optimize timing? How is the core utilized to optimize timing?

May 3, 2014
FP - both legs are reacting (or should be) to the core actions. And these reactions should start in the sagittal plane as in PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) with resistance.

Watch the Ted clip again

oqaptA.gif

IMO - and this is based on doing it - the front heel detaches from the ground as he starts to laterally bends his spine forward/in.

Watch Mig - same thing although he lifts a little higher

74vzNG.gif

There is the control you are looking for. Because all you need to do is release that lateral bend to set the swing events in motion. The rear leg reacts to the lateral bend and release. No pushing. Just balancing.

But, you can (and I have) started pre laterally bent and then the release is what causes the front foot to lift and move out.

Try it both way. Use the spinal muscles to create that first movement. Everything will want to react off of that if you let it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Arching the lower back activates core muscles such as the Psaos. When you practice arching there is real arching. When you swing while arching there doesn't have to be any real arching.

If you want to hear it from someone who has been teaching this for years, go to Hubie Magic Hitting Academy

Pulling back into your hips activates the hamstrings which activates the psoas which pulls on the lumbar spine which creates lordosis. Just arching your lower back is out of sequence.

So you see nothing wrong with the earlier cue of brushing off the rear butt cheek to induce lordosis.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hopefully this answers the question. The rear leg, IMO, must be reactionary in its final usage. You can think of the rear leg as a brace if you will, for the torso to work on.

LOL - just a different way to say the legs support the actions of the core which has been said a hundred times here.

As TJ said - you are starting to see something you couldn't see before but you are clawing your fingernails into past beliefs afraid to let go...

Let me save you some trouble - any focus on the rear leg or FbC while trying to implement a core based approach is a time waster and not compatible. Trust me on this.

And as long as you keep viewing the swing in 2D terms ala Yeager - the mystery will elude you.

bufKlF.gif

What is really funny is that most of what I wrote in that post was taken from my earlier posts. Yet you wish to view it as new. Just too funny.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FP - both legs are reacting (or should be) to the core actions. And these reactions should start in the sagittal plane as in PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) with resistance.

Watch the Ted clip again

oqaptA.gif

IMO - and this is based on doing it - the front heel detaches from the ground as he starts to laterally bends his spine forward/in.

Watch Mig - same thing although he lifts a little higher

74vzNG.gif

There is the control you are looking for. Because all you need to do is release that lateral bend to set the swing events in motion. The rear leg reacts to the lateral bend and release. No pushing. Just balancing.

But, you can (and I have) started pre laterally bent and then the release is what causes the front foot to lift and move out.

Try it both way. Use the spinal muscles to create that first movement. Everything will want to react off of that if you let it.

Butter, in the GIF above Ted is shown performing lead-side lateral bend. In the ruler example the hand on the top moves the ruler to induce rear-side lateral bend.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You’ll see similar actions in many athletic movements, including throwing, windmill pitching, etc. In prior posts I’ve described this as the act of thoracic extension. It is a big part of the throwing process, providing upper body resistance and stability.

dvrnk6.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Butter, in the GIF above Ted is shown performing lead-side lateral bend. In the ruler example the hand on the top moves the ruler to induce rear-side lateral bend.

The ruler is a demo. I flipped it to show how the front shoulder should be pulled down and in. It can be flipped to also show the lateral bend of the front side or show how the rear shoulder gets pulled down

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
What is really funny is that most of what I wrote in that post was taken from my earlier posts. Yet you wish to view it as new. Just too funny.

What's really funny is how you know this was talked about 2 years ago and you are trying to re package it as something you came up with but with a blender full of rear leg and FbC talk.

May 3, 2014
And in all of your writing you still cannot come close to explaining how the lateral bend is created and how it creates other actions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06