Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hip extension questions:

Is it necessary? Is it taught? Or is it a product of a good swing?

When does it start?

When does it end? before contact? after contact? at contact?

Can you over cook it? Standing up and coming out of posture? Causing head/eye movement.

I see it as a must for powerlifting and hammer throws but they do not have a ball being hurled at them.

Jul 29, 2013
Yes I believe you may be correct about the internal rotation of the rear leg.

And the explanation at the end is great.

Heres another pretty cool rotation into extension movement which that explanation also seems to fit.

View attachment 16952

View attachment 16951
I'm particularly struck by how early during the first guys last rotation where he leans his head back. I notice the direction of his pull at that point is almost exactly perpendicular to the line of the rope.

Jul 29, 2013
Hip extension questions:

Is it necessary? Is it taught? Or is it a product of a good swing?

When does it start?

When does it end? before contact? after contact? at contact?

Can you over cook it? Standing up and coming out of posture? Causing head/eye movement.

I see it as a must for powerlifting and hammer throws but they do not have a ball being hurled at them.
I'm not a believer in the fact that parts of the swing are products of good swings. I think the product of a good swing is a bomb, not hip extension. It just makes sense that the hip extension is a part of a good swing that results in good outcomes. Everything influences everything,
Dog wags tail.
Edit: hip extension can be a part of a swing that results in a good outcome. It certainly is a power creator if used correctly.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm not a believer in the fact that parts of the swing are products of good swings. I think the product of a good swing is a bomb, not hip extension. It just makes sense that the hip extension is a part of a good swing that results in good outcomes. Everything influences everything,
Dog wags tail.
Thanks Bobby. How about the other questions?

Feb 25, 2020
Bonds has a pretty good rearward spine tilt compared to Florida girl and Pedroia. Probably adds to his feeling of swinging down compared to his spine.

Yeah. I believe the hammer guys, especially guy in red, also swing it down more and more, toward the end of their wind up, so they can swing it up. You touch on this in one of your previous posts. You said this:

"To me this means that the points of least leverage will be in forward and downward pulling directions, early in the swing.
Conversely, in the latter parts of the swing, the direction of perpendicular pull would be upward and rearward where the leverage would be greatest. "

its tough to tell if/how much this happens in softball/baseball but it makes some sense when linked to the "down to" feel as you say.

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks Bobby. How about the other questions?
I've definitely taught it.
It begins after front foot plant.
I think when applied correctly in the the right direction relative to the pelvis, it's a great torque creator.
Like everything, it can be done wrong.
Here's one of my favorite drills.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I've definitely taught it.
It begins after front foot plant.
I think when applied correctly in the the right direction relative to the pelvis, it's a great torque creator.
Like everything, it can be done wrong.
Here's one of my favorite drills.

Sorry to hijack your hip extension discussion.

I guess I don't see how this drill (Tewks) allows one to have a leveraged front side (pitchers side) . Why do you want to hang back at anytime ? I think the legs/hips are involved but not actively..

The Legs/hips are responding to the core (obliques, etc).

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree. It doesn't allow as much room for barrel acceleration. I had mine wrap the bat way behind her head. You'd think it made it hard to hit the inside pitch but instead it kept her tighter and the ball only went farther because of the additional barrel acceleration time/distance. Remember that all swings start at zero mph, the longer swings finish at higher speeds.

It’s not that simple to say long swings create more batspeed. You want to increase the distance force is applied to the bat, without increasing the time of the swing.

When I first started measuring batspeed most kids increased the distance and swing time or time to contact.

Now with Blast I can measure batspeed, time to contact (swing time) and rotational acceleration or swing quickness. And review the video of each swing.

Feb 25, 2020
Sorry to hijack your hip extension discussion.

I guess I don't see how this drill (Tewks) allows one to have a leveraged front side (pitchers side) . Why do you want to hang back at anytime ? I think the legs/hips are involved but not actively..

The Legs/hips are responding to the core (obliques, etc).

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

What do you mean by "leveraged front side"?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying