Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby,

Is the rear hip not extending also? Couldnt that drag the rear foot into the air sometimes on some hitters?
Yes, the rear hip is extending but the leg is not in leveraged contact with the ground so I don't think it generates any force. I think the unchained hip extension would actually move the leg rearward. There are some who think the rear leg/knee drives forward via hip flexion but I 'm not sure that would add any momentum to the swing until it stopped moving forward. The leg isn't attached to the bat and so it may be creating a net loss to the bat velocity by consuming angular momentum via adding it's mass. Maybe by drawing into the core it could increase the overall mass of the system and narrow the rotational radius so the rotational velocity would increase? But the videos don't show additional flexion of the rear hip during rotation.
Pic 1, 2 and 3 Bonds has flexion in his rear hip that becomes hip extension as he progresses to pic 4 and ultimately pic 5 where the extension results in his reconnecting to the ground after the swing to stop his rearward fall.1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Yes, the rear hip is extending but the leg is not in leveraged contact with the ground so I don't think it generates any force. I think the unchained hip extension would actually move the leg rearward. There are some who think the rear leg/knee drives forward via hip flexion but I 'm not sure that would add any momentum to the swing until it stopped moving forward. The leg isn't attached to the bat and so it may be creating a net loss to the bat velocity by consuming angular momentum via adding it's mass. Maybe by drawing into the core it could increase the overall mass of the system and narrow the rotational radius so the rotational velocity would increase? But the videos don't show additional flexion of the rear hip during rotation.
Pic 1, 2 and 3 Bonds has flexion in his rear hip that becomes hip extension as he progresses to pic 4 and ultimately pic 5 where the extension results in his reconnecting to the ground after the swing to stop his rearward fall.View attachment 16946View attachment 16947View attachment 16948View attachment 16949View attachment 16950

Im seeing alot of internal rotation from pic 2 to 3. Alot more than most other players/swings. Im not so sure its getting dragged by the pelvic rotation. Bonds stripe on his pants in pic 4 is pointing away from the pitcher. Is there anyone else who gets to this position?

And a lot of rear hip extension from 3 to 4. The front hip is not fully extended in #4. Front hip is extended in 5.

Watch this vid that num nuts posted in the other thread of rory mcilroy

2:03 to 2:08

Rory's rear hip seems to extend right into the extension of his front hip.

Then watch how this players hips are failing to extend(compared to the elite). Her rear femur gets left behind and thusly her rear hip cant extend.(shawn posted this one in another thread) Her front hip is impotent also, compared to the elite, as a result.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Then watch how this players hips are failing to extend(compared to the elite). Her rear femur gets left behind and thusly her rear hip cant extend.(shawn posted this one in another thread) Her front hip is impotent also, compared to the elite, as a result.

Jul 29, 2013
Im seeing alot of internal rotation from pic 2 to 3. Alot more than most other players/swings. Im not so sure its getting dragged by the pelvic rotation. Bonds stripe on his pants in pic 4 is pointing away from the pitcher. Is there anyone else who gets to this position?

And a lot of rear hip extension from 3 to 4. The front hip is not fully extended in #4. Front hip is extended in 5.

Watch this vid that num nuts posted in the other thread of rory mcilroy

2:03 to 2:08

Rory's rear hip seems to extend right into the extension of his front hip.

The stripe on Bonds rear leg? The stripe facing us? Or the other one?

Bonds' rear hip is extended meaning his knee gets behind his hip socket, saggitally. After his heel lifts the leg isn't pushing against anything so wouldn't that mean it's being left behind? Same as the softball girl, the rear hip is fully extended but it's just being left behind until the slack is taken out and then it's being dragged.
I'm thinking that leaving the mass of the rear leg behind allows a faster rotation until the hip fully extends and then gets dragged and limits rotation.

Jul 29, 2013

From what I see, Dustin gets a lot of forward momentum by adducting his rear leg. Then he externally rotates his rear leg to set his pelvis up for a perpendicular rearward thrust of his front leg. The rear hip extension allows the rear foot to maintain ground contact so the external rotation can create leverage against the ground and turn the pelvis. A perfectly perpendicular rearward thrust is important because the force is multiplied by the sine of the angle of the direction of the force. Sine of 90 degree angle is 1 so the force is 100% efficient.
Any other angle results in less than 100% efficiency.
Dustin doesn't get to fully extend his front leg rearward but he carrys so much forward momentum into the front leg that the little bit of knee extension he does achieve and the nearly perfect 90 degree thrust allow him create enough pelvic rotational speed to hit the ball out.
Bonds doesn't have as much forward movement but he has more mass so the momentum is large. Bonds also doesn't create as close to a 90 degree rearward angle of thrust because he doesn't open his front foot to create the perfect knee/hip angle. But look at the size of his front leg and then it makes sense that he doesn't need to be as efficient as Dustin because he's probably a lot stronger.

Jun 8, 2016
From what I see, Dustin gets a lot of forward momentum by adducting his rear leg. Then he externally rotates his rear leg to set his pelvis up for a perpendicular rearward thrust of his front leg. The rear hip extension allows the rear foot to maintain ground contact so the external rotation can create leverage against the ground and turn the pelvis. A perfectly perpendicular rearward thrust is important because the force is multiplied by the sine of the angle of the direction of the force. Sine of 90 degree angle is 1 so the force is 100% efficient.
Any other angle results in less than 100% efficiency.
Dustin doesn't get to fully extend his front leg rearward but he carrys so much forward momentum into the front leg that the little bit of knee extension he does achieve and the nearly perfect 90 degree thrust allow him create enough pelvic rotational speed to hit the ball out.
Bonds doesn't have as much forward movement but he has more mass so the momentum is large. Bonds also doesn't create as close to a 90 degree rearward angle of thrust because he doesn't open his front foot to create the perfect knee/hip angle. But look at the size of his front leg and then it makes sense that he doesn't need to be as efficient as Dustin because he's probably a lot stronger.
I just gave Dustin as a comparison to the Florida hitter.

Jul 29, 2013
I just gave Dustin as a comparison to the Florida hitter.
She does the same thing as Dustin. They both generate forward momentum with a big forward move. Little guys need big moves or super efficiency of force transfer. When big guys do the same, then it's really fun!

Jun 8, 2016
What do you see?
Not a fan of the hinge angle and rear forearm angle (too vertical) at launch, it is similar to Jeter

and Acuna

It can work obviously but I just see/feel it as a weaker position at launch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles