Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hey Shawn, I wasn't going to say anything because I like your experiment and you seemed to be doing well but the fact that you were swinging full speed 'through' the bag always alarmed me. I figured it was helping you get a feel that was useful. I wouldn't have a young kid do that on a bag, I like the bag but only for stop swings (without a bag it's really hard to actually do a stop swing, for instance, on a ball off a tee). Sorry to hear but not surprised you are feeling some aftereffect from slamming the bag.

re: your last swing, I agree with Eric F about cheating your pullback and that results in pushing your hands. I've liked other swings you've done better.

I agree, I’m not using the bag correctly. As Mankin said you want to be relaxed and not driving through the bag at contact. The bag is supposed promote early bat speed before contact and not trying to drive into the bag or through it.

The bag should help with creating batspeed/force between 12 and 6 and not 3 to 9.

Your also correct that the bag should be a stop swing mentality and not blowing right through contact with the bag.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How is this? ,I was trying to pre-set the coil, engage my scap better, my hands start a little to far forward. Weird how something as simple as changing your hand position can be challenging.

I cut back the effort level. I like this swing better.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Need to work on rearward arc, deeper rotational point or HPP. Need more TTB behind me instead of out front and hands pushing forward.

Never had bat drag because I push. Someone who pushes will benefit from TTB behind them.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Still coming out of your posture.. I believe you are not really getting into your back hip, giving up your back foot too early and your front foot seems to skip back(watch your heel).. this making you stand taller during your swing. My DD had the same issue and we struggled with it through out her career. It occurred because of bad coaching on my part. We didn't correct it until I told her to anchor(screw it into the ground, tension on the back hip) the back foot and never let it go. It will still release. Since you are modeling a no stride swing, have a look at Wright and see the difference, also look at his midsection during the positive move, how it straightens the back leg (FYB)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Still coming out of your posture.. I believe you are not really getting into your back hip, giving up your back foot too early and your front foot seems to skip back(watch your heel).. this making you stand taller during your swing. My DD had the same issue and we struggled with it through out her career. It occurred because of bad coaching on my part. We didn't correct it until I told her to anchor(screw it into the ground, tension on the back hip) the back foot and never let it go. It will still release. Since you are modeling a no stride swing, have a look at Wright and see the difference, also look at his midsection during the positive move, how it straightens the back leg (FYB)

If I don’t focus on the blue diagonal tape line, I swing to high and that doesn’t help with staying low into my posture. If I don’t remind myself to stay down, I stand up. I didn’t remind myself to do neither in this swing.

May 12, 2016
If I don’t focus on the blue diagonal tape line, I swing to high and that doesn’t help with staying low into my posture. If I don’t remind myself to stay down, I stand up. I didn’t remind myself to do neither in this swing.
I think it’s your back foot mostly, but I could be wrong. What do you mean “you swing to high”

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Your contact point is so far out in front, you don't have a choice but to push forward to get to it.

I don’t think it’s that far forward. I think I’ll try to close the gap next time , try to force myself to TTB behind me. Try to force TTB rearward, instead of pushing and turning the barrel out front. Shrink the hand path, or the distance. Force a change.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think it’s your back foot mostly, but I could be wrong. What do you mean “you swing to high”

My back foot skips forward to far. I think I’m into my back hip, it just needs work. I’m losing coil and stretch and shifting to much weight forward onto my front leg. The weight is shifting forward to much onto my front leg which isn’t helping to stay in my posture.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi