Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Daughter just finished 1st year 10u, she is 9. Some soft toss slow motion video attached.

Looking for input on swing. Trying to stop back elbow from leading her hands. Improving but not yet where it needs to be IMO.

Will post a YouTube link if this file can’t be viewed.

Jun 22, 2019
Not bad for a 9 yr old. I assume she is hitting some into the dirt right in front of the pitcher? Also does she hit well to opposite field but have a hard time pulling the ball?

Here is what I see...I am no expert by the way.

She has some bat drag...to fix, I make my girls stand facing the backstop net at arms length. Have the reach there arm out until their fingertips barely contact the net and ask them to take a full swing. If they swing correctly, they can take a full cut without hitting the net. Don’t release the arms to quickly and get hips around.

Also, there was some roll over, meaning her hands are rolling over one another in the hitting zone. Some of this will be fixed by the drill above, but also start talking about where the bat should be when she finishes her swing. She is finishing low around the hip. Have her finish at the shoulder pointing bat at left field foul pole and make sure she has her knuckles lined up (door knocking knuckles).

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
First thing needed is screen/net so you practice front toss. Never liked side toss. Her hands go back as she strides forward. Thats good but then she sorta frail at the ball with her arms. Bat look a little big/heavy. Check out Justin Stone video.
Also Baseball Rebellion has a product Bat Drag Buster or something like that. It basically keeps hitters elbows apart. I have one and it works great.

Aug 3, 2019
Thank you.

From a result perspective, she seems to get jammed a lot more than she should. Not even jammed really, but making contact below the barrel. Likely because the drag is not letting the barrel get out front.

She does seem to hit the ball best towards the middle of the field.. She only is really able to pull pitches which are low in the zone.

And she seems to hit significantly more ground balls than anything in the air. It works out because she is pretty quick and the fielding at this level is inconsistent, but I’d like to see her square it up more frequently

Aug 3, 2019
I felt the same way about the bat. The coach recently pushed me to move her up to a 31/20. She was using a 30/19 all season. She’s 4’4 and 75 lbs.

Aug 20, 2017
I’m not totally against side Toss but if done incorrectly it can create more swing flaws. Get some weighted balls and front Toss to her.

She has some bat wrap (barrel pointing at pitcher during load/stretch that will cause timing issues due to a longer swing path and swing flaws. Notice during her stride that the knob of the bat is pointing over the head of the catcher at swing launch. When players wrap the bat it causes the arms/shoulders to take over and will generally make girls pull off the ball. At swing launch you want the knob of the bat pointed at the catchers feet. This will help keep the hitter in sequence, swinging front the ground up.

All that said she looks really good. I don’t see any bat drag. Fix the wrap and that will take care of most her flaws

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying