Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thoughts on bat size? 4’4 and 75 pounds. 9 and a half years old.
Post a game swing or at least front toss (rotated so I don't hurt my neck 😉 )
As a point of reference, my 9 YO DD (will turn 10 in Sept.) is 5' and not yet 75 lbs and swings a 31/21. Every kid
is different.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Here she is at toe touch:

1) The back foot should not be pointed backwards. Point it straight toward the plate.

2) The rear forearm is near vertical, which is causing... (practice drawing the elbow back like a bow, where the rear forearm is flat/level/horizontal at toe touch)

3) The hands are behind the back elbow. This is bat drag. The swing is dead at this point.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

Tried making some adjustments

She’s getting jammed on pitches that are inside because she’s not working the lead elbow up... there’s too much length being created with the front arm bar which casts the bat out over the plate and she cant recover from it to barrel it up. Even on the tee swing she’s struggling to barrel up. Makes sense that she doesn’t get jammed on the low inside pitch because you need more length to get to that ball. A lot of good advice on here, but this worked for my DD the best, turn the triangle. Anybody have a video of PVC pipe with perpendicular handle intersecting being used properly? I think this would help your DD tons

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Can’t see the video. But if she is getting jammed. Try angle toss. Ask for line drives up the middle. Can’t cheat the drill. Will create an inside out swing instead of casting. When learning go slow. Speed up toss speed when mastered.

45d angle at batter. Toss at front hip. Ball should go CF to LCF.

45d angle behind batter. Toss at outside corner of the plate. Ball should go CF to RCF. Master these.

Turning anything is not what I would prescribe. Except left when you get to a base. :)

Sep 17, 2009
Focusing solely on the hands won't solve bat drag. For her lower half to get ahead of and PULL her upper half, the lower half has to be a driving 'engine'. Look at this picture. At this point, which is pretty far along in her swing, her lower body hasn't done anything to drive rotation. So all she can do to keep the barrel moving is push her hands. Unlike some girls, her body "follows" pretty well to give the look of rotation, but it's top-down driven. She needs to install a rear-leg driver.

Added: I realize identifying a problem isn't all that helpful. So added...

So what should she look like at this position? Look at the final frames of this swing, how the leg is driving and turning the barrel, which was mentioned before, "sits on top" of the leg driving...

How do you create a driving leg? There used to be a lot of demoing/discussion of the 'stretch and fire' drill back in the day as being really helpful for this....I'd do a search to try to find discussions, but it looks like this (working some oppo too, which was mentioned earlier):

There are no easy paths or fixes, it will take some hard work.

(That said, I like how she looks for her age, she's got a lot of good things to work with)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802