Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I think she is doing well for 9. That said, it looks to me like somebody perhaps suggested that she load ("pullback") by pushing her hands straight back? This puts her in a less than optimal position at launch (hands too far away from the shoulder) imo. Take a look at how Pedroia and Bregman in posts #19 and 20 do this.

May 12, 2016

Like this.

How does this promote inside out? I can still cast and pull the ball from angle front toss. In order for the hitter to get the feeling of inside out I would them taking that ball to the gap opposite field or UTM. I would rather they pulled that ball in a game, but I am talking about the feeling of getting inside out for a hitter that casts or swings around their body

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Video was an example of the tool. You can TTT without dumping the barrel

I Don't like that towel drill, timing has to be perfect, very small window to hit the ball. Basically get on plane out in front of your body.

I understand how TTB TTT can lead to barrel dump, I don't normally suggest it. But if controlled with proper shoulder tilt and keeping the hands high it can lead getting behind the ball deep in the zone increasing the hitting time window.

The shoulders get tilted. You don’t tilt them. That’s dump the barrel. The hands lead the barrel on plane to the ball. There is no such thing as on plane deep. There is long in the zone. Much different.

The swing should be down to and level and inside at the end of day. That’s staying in the zone for a long time. That’s being direct to the ball. Getting on plane should be thought of as long through the zone not behind the ball. No pro is behind the ball deep without giving up their adjustability. That is and always will be an internet farse. No such thing. Here is JD practicing the drills you don’t care for. The guy in the videos I posted is JDs hitting coach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How does this promote inside out? I can still cast and pull the ball from angle front toss. In order for the hitter to get the feeling of inside out I would them taking that ball to the gap opposite field or UTM. I would rather they pulled that ball in a game, but I am talking about the feeling of getting inside out for a hitter that casts or swings around their body

Sure you could pull it. But you will be pulling it the right way. You won’t be around it. If you don’t. It will hit you. Or it won’t stay fair. Instant feedback.

Your example would be to extreme and would eventually teach the hitter how never to pull the ball.

May 12, 2016
Sure you could pull it. But you will be pulling it the right way. You won’t be around it. If you don’t. It will hit you. Or it won’t stay fair. Instant feedback.

Your example would be to extreme and would eventually teach the hitter how never to pull the ball.
We are talking about a young kid, pulling the ball the right and wrong way is not an easy concept. Just giving them angled front toss and expecting them to stay inside the ball is a little unrealistic IMO. Sometimes exaggeration is a good thing, just for a feeling. Even the greats practice inside out, takings pitches on the inside/middle of plate to oppo field. Why? To practice staying inside the ball. If you can go inside out on a ball down the middle, pulling the ball right way will be easy.

Now I agree, this is not something you want to do repeatedly without reinforcing pulling the ball the right way. But it can give a young hitter the right feeling. JMHO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We are talking about a young kid, pulling the ball the right and wrong way is not an easy concept. Just giving them angled front toss and expecting them to stay inside the ball is a little unrealistic IMO. Sometimes exaggeration is a good thing, just for a feeling. Even the greats practice inside out, takings pitches on the inside/middle of plate to oppo field. Why? To practice staying inside the ball. If you can go inside out on a ball down the middle, pulling the ball right way will be easy.

Now I agree, this is not something you want to do repeatedly without reinforcing pulling the ball the right way. But it can give a young hitter the right feeling. JMHO

Yeah true. But ‘casting’ was the issue we were taking about remember? Teaching a good path at any age is appropriate. If she pulls the ball correctly.. bonus right? Never too young too learn bat control and hand/barrel path.

May 12, 2016
Yeah true. But ‘casting’ was the issue we were taking about remember? Teaching a good path at any age is appropriate. If she pulls the ball correctly.. bonus right? Never too young too learn bat control and hand/barrel path.
I agree with everything you are saying, however I don't think a drill pulling the ball with angled front toss is going to deliver everything you are saying above. I believe you posted the Ryan Braun drill before.. is he pulling the ball in that drill.. or concentrating on staying inside by hitting to Oppo? Limitless other MLB hitters focus on hitting the ball to oppo during the 1st round of batting practice.. this is a good practice for them because it helps them stay inside the ball and not swing around the ball. Like you said, practice good bat control and hand/barrel path

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree with everything you are saying, however I don't think a drill pulling the ball with angled front toss is going to deliver everything you are saying above. I believe you posted the Ryan Braun drill before.. is he pulling the ball in that drill.. or concentrating on staying inside by hitting to Oppo? Limitless other MLB hitters focus on hitting the ball to oppo during the 1st round of batting practice.. this is a good practice for them because it helps them stay inside the ball and not swing around the ball. Like you said, practice good bat control and hand/barrel path

When doing the drill, the goal is not to pull the ball. The goal is to hit it up the middle to LCF for a rhh. Pulling the ball well is a by-product of a good inside-out path. And isn’t much of an every pitch goal imo. Pulling every ball is a by-product of an out to in swing. Short through the zone. And will frustrate any batter.

When hitters say they want to stay gap to gap. As well as long through the zone. That’s what this means.

I suggest trying the drill with the goal of gap to gap in mind. You will find a direct path to the ball.

When in game, said player will learn to ‘pull’ the ball when early, hit it to lcf when on time, and hit it up the middle when late. The barrel will remain behind the hands until needed for said location.

Particulars for the drill include keeping the hands ‘in’ and the barrel inside. Which keeps the swing direct and short in time but long through the zone. Which gives the hitter more ‘time’. You don’t have to be perfect on every pitch.

May 12, 2016
When doing the drill, the goal is not to pull the ball. The goal is to hit it up the middle to LCF for a rhh. Pulling the ball well is a by-product of a good inside-out path. And isn’t much of an every pitch goal imo. Pulling every ball is a by-product of an out to in swing. Short through the zone. And will frustrate any batter.

When hitters say they want to stay gap to gap. As well as long through the zone. That’s what this means.

I suggest trying the drill with the goal of gap to gap in mind. You will find a direct path to the ball.

When in game, said player will learn to ‘pull’ the ball when early, hit it to lcf when on time, and hit it up the middle when late. The barrel will remain behind the hands until needed for said location.

Particulars for the drill include keeping the hands ‘in’ and the barrel inside. Which keeps the swing direct and short in time but long through the zone. Which gives the hitter more ‘time’. You don’t have to be perfect on every pitch.
Understood, Bregman was pulling everything and even though he was staying inside the ball I found it a little misleading.. and for a young hitter they may not understand the concept of staying inside while pulling everything

QQ, when you say long through the zone.. what would you define as the zone?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Understood, Bregman was pulling everything and even though he was staying inside the ball I found it a little misleading.. and for a young hitter they may not understand the concept of staying inside while pulling everything

QQ, when you say long through the zone.. what would you define as the zone?

Turning left for a rhh would be opposite of long through the zone. The swing should happen from the right side of the body as well as the right side of the SS(rhh). 2b(lhh).

A bit late.

A bit late.

A bit early.

Right on time. RCF.

I call these two. Turning left and staying straight. Is it perfectly straight? No. But that’s how it’s trained.

This is pretty good. I wouldnt take it literally. Long through in the east/west sense. Just like hands above the ball or on top, makes it long through in the north and south.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279