Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Focusing solely on the hands won't solve bat drag. For her lower half to get ahead of and PULL her upper half, the lower half has to be a driving 'engine'. Look at this picture. At this point, which is pretty far along in her swing, her lower body hasn't done anything to drive rotation. So all she can do to keep the barrel moving is push her hands. Unlike some girls, her body "follows" pretty well to give the look of rotation, but it's top-down driven. She needs to install a rear-leg driver.

View attachment 14811

Added: I realize identifying a problem isn't all that helpful. So added...

So what should she look like at this position? Look at the final frames of this swing, how the leg is driving and turning the barrel, which was mentioned before, "sits on top" of the leg driving...

View attachment 14812

How do you create a driving leg? There used to be a lot of demoing/discussion of the 'stretch and fire' drill back in the day as being really helpful for this....I'd do a search to try to find discussions, but it looks like this (working some oppo too, which was mentioned earlier):

View attachment 14813

There are no easy paths or fixes, it will take some hard work.

(That said, I like how she looks for her age, she's got a lot of good things to work with)

I haven’t seen the young lady’s swing. Video won’t play for me. My advice was solely on Julrays ‘casting’ comment. Anyway...

When you say the rear leg is a/the driver, can you explain what that means? Drive the knee down ?

I see the ground and shift as part of the equation to creating the rear leg component energy wise. I actually see the rear leg more as a ‘decelerant’, but the rear hip more as an ‘indirect driver’ if that makes sense. As well as the mass shifting and torquing as the main driver(s).

I see momentum and the core/hips as the drivers. As well as the hands/barrel. 2 separate engines if you will.

Thoughts?

May 12, 2016
If the front arm remains barred and the front elbow does not work its way up then you will get jammed on the mid to high inside pitch. That's why i said turn the triangle, it's just a cue that was helpful for my DD who experienced the same issue. This tool helped her..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If the front arm remains barred and the front elbow does not work its way up then you will get jammed on the mid to high inside pitch. That's why i said turn the triangle, it's just a cue that was helpful for my DD who experienced the same issue. This tool helped her..

So fix the arm bar with a dump? How about fix the load and teach the hands?

May 12, 2016

Video was an example of the tool. You can TTT without dumping the barrel

I Don't like that towel drill, timing has to be perfect, very small window to hit the ball. Basically get on plane out in front of your body.

I understand how TTB TTT can lead to barrel dump, I don't normally suggest it. But if controlled with proper shoulder tilt and keeping the hands high it can lead getting behind the ball deep in the zone increasing the hitting time window.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some guys hit the ball out in front. Usually smaller guys. Some guys let the ball get deep. Usually bigger guys that hit one legged. Some guys are in between the two. Not too deep. Not too far in front. But just right. Think JD Martinez.

May 12, 2016
Some guys hit the ball out in front. Usually smaller guys. Some guys let the ball get deep. Usually bigger guys that hit one legged. Some guys are in between the two. Not too deep. Not too far in front. But just right. Think JD Martinez.
JD also gets on plane very early. Hit bat is in the zone for a looooong time

Sep 17, 2009
I haven’t seen the young lady’s swing. Video won’t play for me. My advice was solely on Julrays ‘casting’ comment. Anyway...

When you say the rear leg is a/the driver, can you explain what that means? Drive the knee down ?

I see the ground and shift as part of the equation to creating the rear leg component energy wise. I actually see the rear leg more as a ‘decelerant’, but the rear hip more as an ‘indirect driver’ if that makes sense. As well as the mass shifting and torquing as the main driver(s).

I see momentum and the core/hips as the drivers. As well as the hands/barrel. 2 separate engines if you will.

Thoughts?

WW, I agree with you on the hands part of the equation. I definitely believe in two engines. But I see the bottom half differently. I think you are well aware of how the two approaches you describe -- leg driver vs core/hips -- differ, I'm not too interested in playing it out yet again.

What I was aiming to do was give the OP something to think about and investigate, with the hope it might help him work with his daughter.

Sep 17, 2009

You will also get ja

Oh wait. If you see the video of the girl above as a barrel dump then I guess I DON'T, as I said in my last post, agree with you about the 'hands part of the equation' either :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood