Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Is that because you were trying to hit HRs? LOL
No it was because I wasn't so psycho that I didn't realize that doing so might kill somebody..

In games I tried to hit the ball hard I guess..I seriously have almost zero memory of anything I did in sports. I blanked everything out after I quit..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry to butt in, JMHO.

1. Like Donaldson says, catching it out front which is not his intention
2. Backspin, catching the ball below the midpoint, which I also believe is a mistake. It's just too damn hard :)

I believe most hitters are trying to get on plane and through and hit it so hard as they can

I agree with the bold above. That has always been my goal as a hitter, and it is the intent I try to instill in those I instruct.

Nov 16, 2017
Swing down cult, please post a video of a single MLB hitter that does not have a bat path below the pitch path. Just one. (I have hundreds that do) Show me the money baby.

Seriously, for the last 4 or 5 pages we have made a clear distinction about barrel path and hand path.

In the following video this guy says, it is not swing down, level, or up through but then he demonstrates swing down, hand to the ball and proves why that works.

Apr 11, 2015
I really don’t like using machine swing clips anymore. I find my dd gets used to a grooved speed and starts to really unleash her swing. creating a steeper path than I would like.

the swing underneath we were working on front toss from very close to make her work on her hitting position. she doesn’t know what’s coming or at what speed or location so she must be more ‘game’ mode so to speak.

as far as machine work, I started using the 80mph cage which worked for a time. But now she just grooves it and gets a bit steep sometimes. So front toss from close at the field is the only way for me to get as game like as possible.
Yes, I agree with this wholeheartedly, and why I stopped using any kind of directionally cue of the bat within the swing when coaching; be it "swing down", "knob/hands to the ball", "TTB" or whatever.

Like you, I found that when given a specific directional cue, when thinking about it during their swing process, 95% of the hitters would overdo it, and the barrel path would either get too steep out front with the "swing down" type cues, or too loopy with the forced "TTB" ones, and why I stuck with the more goal oriented one of getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball ("on plane and through" is fine and the same thing).

By using that cue and teaching approach, 95% hitters had a very similar idea of what the plane of the ball was (or could be shown it very easily), and what their bat/barrel path would need to be to get on it or match it. It was then much easier working with them in using their entire body with that goal in mind of getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball....w/o ever slicing "down to" it too steeply, or aggressively "TTB" too much, causing the barrel to loop too much below it.

So similar to your DD's cage swing(s) where she's thinking about her swing vs just thinking about hitting the ball; when I asked hitters to "show me your swing"...they'd do the same thing, and either have that too steep of a path if they were "swing down", "KTTB", or way too loopy if they were the let it all hang out, "swing for the fences" kind of hitters (not too many, if any had heard of "TTB" at the time). But when told to "don't think, and just hit the ball", most of the swings became better, and more recognizable as their base pattern, and we'd then work from there in improving their barrel path to the ball.

Apr 11, 2015
@Mudders Brudder

heres what I have as most recently videoed.

in and out

View attachment 23247 View attachment 23248

these are more representative of where she’s at. But her hand set changes from time to time. I think we’re going out this afternoon to hit at the field. If so I’ll grab some vid and post.
I like these swings also. Whatever cues and coaching you gave her, I still see the BGT "behind and through", as she hits them both well. So it goes to show, whatever way we get there, we're all pretty much looking for and getting the same swings from our hitters. 👍🏽

Dec 5, 2017
Preface this by saying disregard the terrible demos where guys would drive the ball into the ground. The pitch starts at an elevated position and has a downward trajectory(usually). The bat also starts at an elevated position and in order to meet the ball must be "turned" down to meet said ball. In the mind of the hitter, just guessing, they are swinging the barrel "down" to hit the ball. The bat path, at least the barrel path, in essence would be "down". Also through, around, and back to the elevated finish. That is the way I see it, not the snapping the barrel back towards the catcher. Guys on here used to talk about a tilted ferris wheel or merry go round I believe. Would that not be down to? Not the hands, just the barrel. I watch all the slo mo video posted on here and that is what I see, mostly, in terms of barrel path. I never comment because I'm no hitting guru but I'm a reasonably intelligent guy and I know what I see. Perhaps these mlb guys mean swing down differently than they demo.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
BgGvngX.gif

I think this swing is very clear you swing down to swing up.

edit: but the lead arm is going up.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi