Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mean TTB isn't too "past". When I was growing up Walt Hriniak was all the buzz... ;)

his stuff still plays with some modifications. TTB has been modified by TM if you haven’t notice. Remember he wanted it earlier from behind. now it’s just the ‘release‘ that is forceful. he has revised so many times. whether he knows it or not, he gets closer to the real mlb pattern everyday. All of his students, even the ones on here swing from 2 legs. and their HPP are back and out front. It’s comical. but we can keep acting like we don’t see it. LOL.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Has nothing to do with swinging down. That’s usually spacing or force transmission. Using the hips/legs early.

when you work on the body without the hands that will create drag. the hands need to position the swing. they’re active and directing the body to its launch position.

Yep, if one is attempting to rotate the hips the shoulders will pull off as well. Bonds had it correct.

jFHegxO.gif

WilWtlj.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The demonstrations of several professional players that were shared show a dramatically different 'barrel' path than their game swings. Some people attribute the difference to posture, and I agree with that to a certain extent. However, there is a substantial difference between hand path and barrel path. A hitter could have a decent hand path and still have a below average barrel path. The best hitters excel at both.

So if its such a difference don't you think it would effect their game swing (chopping balls into the ground ) ?

Have you ever tried it from a leveraged fyb position ?

jknTyMu.png

r3wae3N.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So if its such a difference don't you think it would effect their game swing (chopping balls into the ground ) ?

Have you ever tried it from a leveraged fyb position ?

jknTyMu.png

r3wae3N.gif

First, why is "the" highlighted? That word is utilized 15 times in the post above and it is highlighted every time. Other than that, I really don't have an issue with the excerpt itself. You will sometimes see pro hitters stride in a certain direction (towards pitch location), but that is often a result of predicting where the pitch will be. Not an in flight adjustment. Ted also discussed this in his book. Some people refer to the process as "guessing". I prefer the term "anticipating".

The pros have worked on their barrel paths for years, whether they realize it or not. Their demo could be a way of avoiding the barrel from getting away from them. The barrel can turn and still be controlled, contrary to what some proponents try to say. Many of us have said (repeatedly...), that TTB can be overbaked, and often is. Unfortunately, every time we make those comments, they seem to go over your head, or you simply don't want to hear it.

I have stated for years that getting leveraged is important. Again, you seem to miss that... We just view leverage a little bit differently. It's important to remain dynamic. If you become static, you are toast.

What typically happens is regardless what I say, you tend to draw conclusions about what my beliefs are, rather than actually reading the words I post. It has been that way for years.

• Haha
Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole