Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
For those unfamiliar with Matt Antonelli, I would suggest trying to watch this video with an open mind. If you are focused on "swinging down", some of what he says will probably not make sense to you. If you are fully engulfed in "HLP", you will find some differences with his teachings and probably won't agree with him either. Regardless, one thing that Matt is very good at is explaining his thought process, whether you agree with it or not.

May 12, 2016
For those unfamiliar with Matt Antonelli, I would suggest trying to watch this video with an open mind. If you are focused on "swinging down", some of what he says will probably not make sense to you. If you are fully engulfed in "HLP", you will find some differences with his teachings and probably won't agree with him either. Regardless, one thing that Matt is very good at is explaining his thought process, whether you agree with it or not.

Agreed. Whether you agree with him or not, he is a good instructor in the sense that things are pretty crystal clear, which of course makes him vulnerable as well

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agreed. Whether you agree with him or not, he is a good instructor in the sense that things are pretty crystal clear, which of course makes him vulnerable as well

His instruction is refreshing in that he is a good communicator. Unfortunately when watching videos or reading forums, the information is often not as clear.

Oct 26, 2019
I have somehow miraculously followed all 33 pages of this thread so far and here is my thought.

In a podcast I listened to not long ago, Kevin Youkiliswas asked about launch angle and new school hitting. He said he always exaggerated getting on top of the ball because his default swing (when he didn’t focus on top) was under the ball and would result in pop ups. This struck a nail with me because it is my own experience as a hitter through HS and college. When I tried to hit the top of the ball I hit line drives. When I tried to hit the middle of the ball I popped it up. This is why pros over exaggerate it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have somehow miraculously followed all 33 pages of this thread so far and here is my thought.

In a podcast I listened to not long ago, Kevin Youkiliswas asked about launch angle and new school hitting. He said he always exaggerated getting on top of the ball because his default swing (when he didn’t focus on top) was under the ball and would result in pop ups. This struck a nail with me because it is my own experience as a hitter through HS and college. When I tried to hit the top of the ball I hit line drives. When I tried to hit the middle of the ball I popped it up. This is why pros over exaggerate it.

nice post. It’s imperative that the barrel stay above. the force applied to the barrel during the forward move(rearward or down)of the hands can cause loss of its intended arc UNDER the ball if not synced to the hands from above them. Gravity and centrifugal force play a part imo. That’s why aiming and launching above the ball is what should be done. I think the more force you can create the more it’s needed.. control that is. jmo.

Oct 26, 2019
I think @pattar said it somewhere, but I think this is why it is important to teach young hitters barrel awareness through purposeful batting practice. When we take bp I always have a purpose to our rounds. Oppo round, middle round, fly all round, ground all round. Players should be able to hit the ball where they want to. This also leads to looking for a pitch to do it on (pitch selection). If we are working an oppo round we have the players take anything inside that they cannot drive oppo. Same goes for the pull round and the others.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes they do everything possible to remove the loop in their practice and game swings to avoid losing the barrel.

1a9HMWt.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes they do everything possible to remove the loop in their practice and game swings to avoid losing the barrel.

1a9HMWt.gif

Without some loop all you have is pushing the hands forward. Hank said in his book you want to have “some” backswing and not to eliminate it entirely. Walt said there is a point where the lowerbody is going one way and the upper body/bat is going the other way.

Without on and around you will be ABAF.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom