Swing down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Is there any such thing as getting on plane? It seems to me that the only way to get on plane is to drop hands to height of pitch and swing level. That don't seem ideal.

The only time the barrel should be on plane is after the swing arc bottoms out and is on its upwards path to the ball. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is there any such thing as getting on plane? It seems to me that the only way to get on plane is to drop hands to height of pitch and swing level. That don't seem ideal.

Why does "on plane" need to have the barrel level to the ground? In my head, "on plane" means the contact area of the bat is moving on a path that matches the trajectory of the pitch. The pivot point of the bat's rotation can be anywhere and still be "on plane". In the context of a good swing, the pivot point should be higher than the contact point.

Aug 3, 2013
Eric F I hear the cue get on plane early and stay on plane as long as possible. You called hpp and I said on plane happens after bottom of swing arc so obviously I don't think swing level. I just don't think of getting on plane when hitting.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric F I hear the cue get on plane early and stay on plane as long as possible. You called hpp and I said on plane happens after bottom of swing arc so obviously I don't think swing level. I just don't think of getting on plane when hitting.

My response was more about physics than swing thoughts/cues. I have come across quite a few people that believe being "on plane" means the bat has to be level to the ground - including a couple of former D1 players. I agree that this concept is incorrect in the context of a good swing.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I would suggest watching some replays of the WCWS if you can. You will see variations due to the pitch, if it's low, if it's high, once you see these you can draw your own conclusion as to the bat path and the direction the barrel goes, if it starts down , up ,or possible would be a "level swing. I found it rather interesting in all the games.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

The only time the barrel should be on plane is after the swing arc bottoms out and is on its upwards path to the ball. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

How about thinking of the barrel moving perpendicular to the path of the pitch slightly before and slightly after contact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO ....

Yes to 'squaring' the ball at impact. No to any thought of attempting to maintain a squared orientation.

'Release' into and through impact. The barrel will pivot about the hands ... and with that pivot the angular relationship of the bat/barrel will continuously change. Any intention to 'maintain' a squared orientation through impact will impede barrel velocity.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO ....

Yes to 'squaring' the ball at impact. No to any thought of attempting to maintain a squared orientation.

'Release' into and through impact. The barrel will pivot about the hands ... and with that pivot the angular relationship of the bat/barrel will continuously change. Any intention to 'maintain' a squared orientation through impact will impede barrel velocity.

Agreed. Impact may stall (or slow) the rotation of the bat, giving an appearance of the barrel moving in a path perpendicular to the pitch trajectory after impact, but attempting to maintain that barrel position is an incorrect intent. However, I have seen some coaches give that instruction....SMH.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It is unfortunate that some instructors teach that. Planning on improving 'squaring' by trying to maintain a square orientation through impact is a mistake. Instead hitters should trust that their 'release' is what squares the ball. You don't try to hold a perpendicular orientation through impact, but you do try to 'release' into & through impact ... and it is that 'release' that is responsible for timely 'squaring' of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32