Swing down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Yes, one of the dangers of using "hitters box" drills is a possible lack of extension. you will see the top hand, stall, and not throw through.
Used wisely, i can help the player with a better pivot point, looser wrists, and a less army swing.
It can also help with them using their lower to power the pivot rather than their arms.

like all drills, use it wisely.

i know of no one that calls for 'maintaining" a square orientation, without extension. a couple 12 year olds playing14u with hitters box training.

hannaondeckgif-M.gif

daisyslomogif.gif

hannagoodhit-640.mp4

I teach a "throw through" extension, but yes, i like a elbow jut, flex elbow, rock the u, maintaining structure on the first part of the swing.

I love on deck swings. Then i compare them with a live in the box swing. amazing what they do with the ball coming at them, compared to the on deck swing.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
http://youtu.be/UAjerCuQbVo

It's confusing when you hear and see things like this. It looks like he is not releasing the barrel through and into ball at contact, just trying to learn and understand. I now understand my error in trying to stay square through contact, caused a loss in bat speed and chicken winging. Thanks for the great teaching.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
http://youtu.be/UAjerCuQbVo

It's confusing when you hear and see things like this. It looks like the he is not releasing the barrel through into ball ant through contact. just trying to learn and understand. I now understand my error in trying to stay square through contact, caused a loss in bat speed. Thanks for the great teaching.

Take note of the disappearance of the 'bent' top-hand/wrist into impact.

2qi1ixu.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
A down through on deck swing
liliondeckdownthrough-M.gif

swing in box
liligoodhitnotipgif-M.gif

she was arguing about a comment about barrel tip. She said she was. i showed her this.

release is a good term to use in the swing. i think extension is a release of sorts.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

In order to cut down on strikeouts and keep the good vibes flowing, Buxton has gone back to a visual he has used in the past. He tries to imagine hitting a one-hop smash toward the second baseman; not just with two strikes, but from the very first pitch.

“It just allows me to get the barrel to the ball,” he said, “to make sure I stay through the ball, and it keeps my bat on plane. It allows me not to pop up out of my swing. I’ve got to stay down through the ball.”

During HS ball DD was putting the ball in the air( fly balls) more than normal. DD isn't a power hitter more of a line drive hitter. We don't get too have much one on one practices during HS season because of the amount of games/practices. I think some bad habits may have crept in. So, this weekend (18u tourney ball team) I gave her the cue of keeping hands above the ball longer and 'try to hit a hard grounder/one hopper to the SS. DD went 7 for 13 with a lot of line drives and hard grounders up the middle. DD's comment after Sat was she thought she was starting to 'drop her hands' , now she feels more on top of the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ya Mann, she just some "throw the top hand through" direction could quickly upgrade her swing.

May 3, 2014
During HS ball DD was putting the ball in the air( fly balls) more than normal. DD isn't a power hitter more of a line drive hitter. We don't get too have much one on one practices during HS season because of the amount of games/practices. I think some bad habits may have crept in. So, this weekend (18u tourney ball team) I gave her the cue of keeping hands above the ball longer and 'try to hit a hard grounder/one hopper to the SS. DD went 7 for 13 with a lot of line drives and hard grounders up the middle. DD's comment after Sat was she thought she was starting to 'drop her hands' , now she feels more on top of the ball.

Good stuff - played our first tourney this w/e and was using some of the same cues to hitters that were a little rusty and putting too many balls in the air. Swings came back to where they needed to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp