Swimming on Game Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
get these girls in the water every day, right after the game if possible". Cools them down slowly rather than a cold shower.

I would think that a pool would be a lot colder than a shower. And I hope that everyone is showering before they get in the pool. It isn't a bath tub.

I didn't used to care about public pools, but since I got my own pool, I am very picky about the water and the chlorine level, etc. Just yesterday, there were 2 dead frogs in my skimmer. The water was treated, more chlorine added, and the filter ran for 2 hours. Then, we tested the water, again.

I hate to think what filth I have swam in, up until now.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It depends. We played a single 4:30 game yesterday, and a few girls were at the pool for awhile that morning. No big deal, imo. We're 12U, and if they're 5 percent weaker, I don't care. Let them have their fun.

But if you've got multiple games, or looking to kill time between morning and afternoon games, and it's hot as the dickens, then no, they don't need to swim. My parents are pretty good in their judgment of such things. It's never been a problem.

Aug 4, 2012
This year at nationals I allowed my girls to go to the waterpark when we had a full 24hrs between games. This was a huge mistake as the girls were clearly lathargic the next day and were still not up to par two days later. Generally an hour or so in the pool after a game is no big deal, but being out in the heat and water for 6hrs was just to much for a group of 10 year old girls to recover from.

Jul 28, 2008
So what was across the street from our Roseville hotel at 12U ASA Western Nationals??? A HUGE waterpark. We could hear the kids screaming all night long. Our poor girls had to pass it every time we left the hotel and just look it it! :)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
So what was across the street from our Roseville hotel at 12U ASA Western Nationals??? A HUGE waterpark. We could hear the kids screaming all night long. Our poor girls had to pass it every time we left the hotel and just look it it! :)

We went to that park last year after we were eliminated, it was a great time.

Here is something this year I heard. The coaches from our team didn't allow the girls into the pool at all, they said the chlorine dehydrated the girls? Anyone ever heard of that?

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Nooooo swimming before a game, and noooo swimming after a game IF we have an early game the next day. If we are off the next day, fine, if we have a later game the next day, they can swim for a little bit.

Apr 25, 2010
Big fat NO before a game. She can sit in the pool for a bit after a game if we play early the next morning, but no actual swimming or horsing around. Thankfully, she knows she's there to play ball, not swim, so she never pushes the issue.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
It's not the swimming itself that's an issue - it's the heat and the sun. They both drain energy. If the pool is indoors, my DD has never had an issue playing around in it a little. If it's outdoors - absolutely not. It's the same for an amusement park or any other outdoor activity. There are some kids that spend a great deal of time outdoors routinely in the summer. These kids seem to do well no matter what they do as they've acclimated to the sun and heat. A lot of kids spend the majority of their time indoors and will have trouble in the heat, no matter what they did before the game. As a rule, we don't let out DD spend any significant amount of time in the sun on game day, she needs to be fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission