Sweatshirts without numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The only time, I have seen sweatshirts/jackets become an issue, is when a hood is on the back. But, I think that was only once. I offered to tuck the hoods, but the ump didn't like that either.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I went ahead and ordered them with numbers. On the front and on the back. The front numbers were a suggestion by my scorekeeper....gotta keep them happy!

sweatshirt front.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
My DD club gives the players the option to purchase a "GAME APPROVED" sweatshirt as part of their uniform. This sweatshirt has the team Logo on front and Name & Number on the back. This is the ONLY sweatshirt they can wear on the field.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rule requires the numbers to be on the uniform jersey. A sweatshirt is not part of the uniform.

I have always told players and coaches to do what they needed to in order to keep warm/dry/etc.

If a question comes up regarding numbers and players, we deal with it at the time.

^^^This, but there is nothing stating a sweatshirt cannot be part of the uniform :)

Mar 2, 2013
The entire purpose of requiring numbers is so that the defense knows who is at bat. Period. So regardless of what the outer layer top is, it is required to have a number. With that said, if the defense doesn't care, neither do I.

Jun 22, 2008
The entire purpose of requiring numbers is so that the defense knows who is at bat. Period. So regardless of what the outer layer top is, it is required to have a number. With that said, if the defense doesn't care, neither do I.

Of course this is the part of the rules I have never been able to figure out. The rules require the players to have a number, the number must be visible on the uniform and must be listed on the lineup card. But, by rule it is the players name, not the number that is significant. As long as the correct name is at bat the number is insignificant and the coach can correct the lineup card.

Considering everyone identifies the players by their number and is how they are tracked on the field and in the batting order, you would think more emphasis would be placed on having the correct numbers listed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Enforcement of the rules will vary, so if you have the ability, put the girls numbers on their sweatshirts, windbreakers, jackets, ect. It will also come in handy knowing who's is who's when you cleanup the dugout!

Mar 26, 2013
Of course this is the part of the rules I have never been able to figure out. The rules require the players to have a number, the number must be visible on the uniform and must be listed on the lineup card. But, by rule it is the players name, not the number that is significant. As long as the correct name is at bat the number is insignificant and the coach can correct the lineup card.

Considering everyone identifies the players by their number and is how they are tracked on the field and in the batting order, you would think more emphasis would be placed on having the correct numbers listed.
Name trumps number because it is very unlikely a coach wrote the wrong name next to the right number. It's a careless mistake by most coaches to put the wrong number. The only ones that are halfway excusable are the teams with multiple uniforms with different numbers on them. There is a local HS coach that has his players trade jerseys before playoff games because many opponents can only recognize his players by number.

Do NFHS rules still restrict the head coach to the dugout if their lineup card has to be corrected more than once? I only have a copy of the 2011 rules...

Jun 22, 2008
Name trumps number because it is very unlikely a coach wrote the wrong name next to the right number. It's a careless mistake by most coaches to put the wrong number. The only ones that are halfway excusable are the teams with multiple uniforms with different numbers on them. There is a local HS coach that has his players trade jerseys before playoff games because many opponents can only recognize his players by number.

Do NFHS rules still restrict the head coach to the dugout if their lineup card has to be corrected more than once? I only have a copy of the 2011 rules...

Yes, HS still restricts the coach if there has to be more than one stoppage of play to correct the lineup card. I say stoppage because the coach can actually correct multiple errors on a card without penalty as long as they do it all at once. If after that they need another correction the coach is restricted.

As for the name vs number, players dont have names on their uniforms for the most part. Everyone on the field, the other team, the score keepers, umpires etc keep track of the players by number, not name. And without requiring the players to carry photo ID and a birth certificate with them there is no way to actually verify what name is in what uniform. And it happens more than you think. I personally have had at least 3 games where the coach swapped numbers on players. The first time through the batting lineup the team batted by numbers, the next time through they batted by name. Defense caught what they felt should have been batting out of order, but because the rules say the name is all that matters and the number can be corrected it isnt an infraction. Because of the number switch, the teams got away with batting out of order the first time through the lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16