Sweatshirts without numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
We bought sweatshirts for the fall with the girls numbers and they have come in very handy the last two weekends - best 20 dollars per kid spent.

Mar 26, 2013
As for the name vs number, players dont have names on their uniforms for the most part. Everyone on the field, the other team, the score keepers, umpires etc keep track of the players by number, not name. And without requiring the players to carry photo ID and a birth certificate with them there is no way to actually verify what name is in what uniform.
I don't see where birth certificates would help. It's definitely hit and miss as far as recognizing players on other teams. Players are fairly well known during JO rec and HS league play. Travel ball varies by age group and from local to national events. I don't have a problem with going by number - take the names off the lineup and just have the number and position for each player.

And it happens more than you think. I personally have had at least 3 games where the coach swapped numbers on players. The first time through the batting lineup the team batted by numbers, the next time through they batted by name. Defense caught what they felt should have been batting out of order, but because the rules say the name is all that matters and the number can be corrected it isnt an infraction. Because of the number switch, the teams got away with batting out of order the first time through the lineup.
Interesting story. Bottom line is some coaches are still going to cheat - they'll just figure out ways to have players change numbers during the game. You can make it more difficult to cheat by marking/tagging the players's bodies, but I doubt you'll find a method to completely stop it that is feasible and/or acceptable to the participants.

Aug 9, 2013
$20!?! With the design like the one I showed earlier and a number on the back they were $32.

Our uniform guy stocks up on sweatshirts and other items when the closeouts happen so the sweatshirts were dirt cheap and then we have a screen guy who will do them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30