Sweatshirts without numbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
What is the rule regarding wearing sweatshirts over uniforms? I have googled it and can't find an answer. Is having a number on the sweatshirt a requirement?

Jun 24, 2013
No idea. Last game DD played she spent an hour using duck tape to get the number she wanted on the back of her jersey. #78.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
A team we played wore a warm up wind breaker which I don't believe had numbers on them. Not sure if it's like an umpires discretion or if there is a steadfast rule.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Some umpires would allow it. But James is right. Just take electrical tape and put a number on it. Some times you aren't allowed to even add a sweatshirt, unless everyone does it.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I think I just found the rule. It states "Non duplicating numbers will be required at all national and world series qualifying tournaments. The numbers must be a minimum of three inches in size and clearly visible."-USSSA

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
By rule, the number must remain visible. In my area we generally do not run into much of an issue with it being cold enough to have players wearing sweatshirts. We usually just let them wear the sweatshirts and if the scorekeepers ask we have the players show their uniform number when they come to bat. Typically this only happens during the first games in the early morning or very late night games during winter.

If teams are playing in areas where this occurs more often, they probably should get team sweatshirts made with numbers on them.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
By rule, the number must remain visible. In my area we generally do not run into much of an issue with it being cold enough to have players wearing sweatshirts. We usually just let them wear the sweatshirts and if the scorekeepers ask we have the players show their uniform number when they come to bat. Typically this only happens during the first games in the early morning or very late night games during winter.

If teams are playing in areas where this occurs more often, they probably should get team sweatshirts made with numbers on them.

Comp- Curious, I was looking over a few different rule sets. I don't think they referred to jersey, just uniform. Can the numbers be anywhere on the uniform and not specifically the jersey or shirt/sweatshirt?

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 6-3-D indicates numbers at least 6" tall must be on the back of all uniform shirts.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The rule requires the numbers to be on the uniform jersey. A sweatshirt is not part of the uniform.

I have always told players and coaches to do what they needed to in order to keep warm/dry/etc.

If a question comes up regarding numbers and players, we deal with it at the time.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I did not look at ASA. Not sure the others state jersey, shirt or just uniform. Anyway, what is the result of not being in compliance? The NSA rule book indicated it would determine home team. The USSSA book didn't say, or I didn't find it. The older FED copy I viewed indicated it should be corrected though if it could not be the player could still play.

I have never seen anyone be given any grief for a sweatshirt or even a jacket or coat by an ump or opposing team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar