Super Regionals-Who's You're Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
OK, so how does she find Canada ball players?

Mark, Melissa Basilio is an assistant coach at Winthrop. I used to coach against her in the 1990s. Her brother Hubie is one of the best coach in Ontario as well. So they do have a connection to Ontario.

However, that Canadian connection was established way before that. The Head Coach Mark Cook loves Canadian athletes for whatever reason. He has recruited some of my athletes back in 1999. He has developped a network of coaches and relations and he attends events in Canada.

There are quite a few good players from Canada that don't get the exposure that US kids get. I have had quite a few athletes of mine go to several schools and become

One of them is Evelyne Pare, a senior at South Alabama (new D1 program) who has had All-American status for each of her 4 years. Nobody saw her until I told a coach about her.

Bottom line, he basically talks a lot of coaches who refer many kids to him and travels to Ontario a few times a year I believe.

Marc

May 8, 2008
South Florida
I agree Mark

Being from Canada my self I know how difficult it is to get the exposure there. I was a pitcher in my time and from a rural community not alot of college scouts go there LOL (out in the cow pasture) I didn't want the same thing to happen to my daughters - moving down here was a great decision to get my daughter the exposure that she needs. It is unfortunate that Canadians especially in the west (small towns) don't get seen and also there isn't alot of knowledge in the sport because it isn't as popular with weather playing a factor (LONG WINTERS) burrrrrr that I don't miss. That is one thing my daughter said that she would like to do is open up certain parts of the world to this amazing sport and how many great things that can come of it. Makes you wonder hom many girls go unseen because of lack of knowledge of the sport and what it has become!!

Lori

May 12, 2008
Mark, Melissa Basilio is an assistant coach at Winthrop. I used to coach against her in the 1990s. Her brother Hubie is one of the best coach in Ontario as well. So they do have a connection to Ontario.

However, that Canadian connection was established way before that. The Head Coach Mark Cook loves Canadian athletes for whatever reason. He has recruited some of my athletes back in 1999. He has developped a network of coaches and relations and he attends events in Canada.

There are quite a few good players from Canada that don't get the exposure that US kids get. I have had quite a few athletes of mine go to several schools and become

One of them is Evelyne Pare, a senior at South Alabama (new D1 program) who has had All-American status for each of her 4 years. Nobody saw her until I told a coach about her.

Bottom line, he basically talks a lot of coaches who refer many kids to him and travels to Ontario a few times a year I believe.

Marc

Thanks. One pops up with good grades and not going D1 or some such you know who to email. :)

I watched triplets from Canada play for Presentation College season before last. Heart of the team. P, C and SS. Great kids as well. Heart of the whole women's athletic program talking to the coaches.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks. One pops up with good grades and not going D1 or some such you know who to email. :)

I watched triplets from Canada play for Presentation College season before last. Heart of the team. P, C and SS. Great kids as well. Heart of the whole women's athletic program talking to the coaches.

Yes three sisters from Saskatoon. I met them twice at Nationals. They are really great girls.

May 12, 2008
Not just sisters. Triplets. And yes, they are impressive people. All those kids from Presentation were very impressive young people come to think of it.

I was just about to congratulate you on Bama but Cochran just scored to tie it up.

May 8, 2008
South Florida
College World Series

Just wanted to know everyones thoughts of the first round that begun last night. Do you think the girls nerves got the best of them in some cases like the Gators and V-tech or just not enough experience. Also did you find that the coaches were being a little conservative with base running?? I saw some errors in every game that we see at high school level and below so I think (just an opinion) maybe nerves.:eek:

Lori

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13