Sunglasses Recommendation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
11DD, a pitcher, wants game sunglasses for Christmas. She wears a rip-it mask. Any suggestions without having to break the bank?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
Vinci sells some we got our 11u. They are white frames with 3 different color interchangeable lenses. They come with a nice case. Black friday they were $29.99 and free shipping. Whether they work well or not is yet to be determined.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My Vinci ones broke. I ordered a new pair. They broke in the same place (right temple). I took pictures and e-mailed the company. No reply. I really needed my sunglasses here in Tucson, so I went to the optometrist and spent $140.00. They are by Wiley and supposedly used by the military. Now, I am assured that if the lenses scratch or a part breaks, it is easily replaceable.

I really wanted to do business with Vinci, but they ignored me.

I think now, I would go to Walgreens and get an 11yo the black plastic sunglasses that are about $12.00. I have used them a lot. You have to be careful that the sunglasses, no matter the cost, do not distort fly balls.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I think now, I would go to Walgreens and get an 11yo the black plastic sunglasses that are about $12.00. I have used them a lot. You have to be careful that the sunglasses, no matter the cost, do not distort fly balls.

I second that. Unless your DD is a lot different than mine these glasses will get dropped, left sitting in the dirt under her equipment bag, stepped on, lost, found, and lost again. The drugstore will have many options for less than $20.

k

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 1, 2010
Same here, mine would jump in front of a train to protect her bat or glove, but the sunglasses get hammered. I probably spend $50-70 a year on cheap ones, but I make sure they have UV protection and don't distort.

Perhaps in a year or so she'll be more responsible with sunglasses, but until then it's the cheapos.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I let dd have an old pair of my oakleys. Now its impossible to see through them do to all the scratches and scrapes on the lenses. Her next pair of shades is going to be under $10.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I have found that the most cost effective sunglasses are those you can buy in Walmart's fishing department. My dd uses th Beckley 1496 which are poliarized and fits her face well. They have 100% UVA &UVB protection. Also, they are very durable. She normally gets about a seasons worth of games (50-60) and practices in before they break. The great news is that you can get them on special for about 15 dollars. They normally cost about 20 dollars. She says that she gets no glare and the sun has never been a problem. She plays the outfield with them and will also bat with them depending on the sun's position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd