Substitution Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Two questions...

1) When the DP goes out to play defense (as they can anywhere... at any time... any number of times), do they have to be reported to the umpire?

2) When other substitutions are made (not the dp/flex players), do they have to be reported to go out on defense, or only when they come to bat?

This would be for high school fastpitch.

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013
1. I ask the coaches to inform me of the defensive change so I know what is happening. Very helpful if they go into the pitcher or catcher position.

2. When the substitute enters the game, they are to be reported to the umpire.....whether defense or as a batter. If not, you have an unreported substitue.

Mar 26, 2013
To add to ORBlue's post:

- You must report when the DP plays defense for the Flex because the Flex leaves the lineup.

- It is a good idea to report every change in the pitcher and catcher positions because it impacts who is eligible for a courtesy runner in the next half-inning.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Two questions...

1) When the DP goes out to play defense (as they can anywhere... at any time... any number of times), do they have to be reported to the umpire?

For HS play, it in not required to report defensive position changes. As has been stated, if the DP is playing defense and the FLEX is on the bench, this must be reported as a player (FLEX) has left the game and will need to use her re-entry to return to the game.

2) When other substitutions are made (not the dp/flex players), do they have to be reported to go out on defense, or only when they come to bat?

This would be for high school fastpitch.

Thanks!

When a player that is not in the game enters the game, either on offense (batting and/or running) or defense, that must be reported to the Plate Umpire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi