Stumped

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2009
Posting this to the pitchers forum because my daughter is a pitcher and you all have been so helpful in the past. It's about overhand throwing...I've read on this forum that you can't pitch harder than you can throw overhand. Well, this is not true with my daughter. Generally speaking I know how to teach kids how to throw, but whatever I show/tell me daughter isn't getting through...

Can you help me? She leads with elbow...see vid:

What do I tell her, show her, drills, etc. to get her over this. It also feels like she releases early, imparting too much backspin.

Overhand throw 46-48
Pitching 50-53

She's 5'9 about 135lbs.

Thanks,

:)

Just for fun, check out this video -- it's my #1 pitcher throwing from the side and a sweet hit by my daughter. The #1 pitcher is nearly 6'2" and is 13 years old. Cruising speed is 60 on her fastball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I would suggest one thing then let the rest chime in. I would suggest that she turn the ball to the opposite direction that she is looking. It will generate more wrist snap.

Nov 18, 2009
I think by looking at her arm you are looking at the wrong place. From this angle it appears she is landing on a locked out knee and not getting any weight shift.

Oct 28, 2009
Here’s Mike Candrea talking about throwing. I bow to his knowledge. And it includes some drills.

Sportskool

Still, I see adjustments.
Most importantly is the inefficiency in the upper left side of her body. In both pitching and overhand throws, the “glove elbow” rises to about shoulder level and then the glove side helps pull the throwing side. Your DD barely raises her glove elbow. The upper left side of her body provides very little assistance.
In your “bonus” video, you’ll notice that each pitch includes the glove elbow being raised MUCH higher than in the overhand throw by your DD.

Second, it is difficult to tell from the head-on video, but it appears that she is not able to provide enough right hip drive because she is over her left leg too much too soon. Just as in pitching and in hitting, getting over the top of the front foot limits power. Again, compare the pitchers in your bonus video (impressive, by the way) to her overhand mechanics. A side view would be helpful in determining if this really is a concern.

Third, there seems to be an overemphasis on the right elbow leading her throwing hand. The ball rolling off the finger tips is good, but as with everything else, it can be overdone.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
I would suggest one thing then let the rest chime in. I would suggest that she turn the ball to the opposite direction that she is looking. It will generate more wrist snap.

If you're talking about showing the ball to CF, it's bad advice and can lead to elbow problems.

No good players actually do this.

Oct 12, 2009
It's about overhand throwing...I've read on this forum that you can't pitch harder than you can throw overhand. Well, this is not true with my daughter. Generally speaking I know how to teach kids how to throw, but whatever I show/tell me daughter isn't getting through...

Can you help me? She leads with elbow...see vid:

What I see is very normal (and really above average given some rec girls I have seen).

The biggest issue is a lack of intent; she just isn't trying to throw that hard.

I would suggest several things mechanically...

1. Try to get her back foot more perpendicular to the target line.

2. Have her start out sideways to the target, and not so open with her front foot.

3. Get her in a more athletic stance with her knees more bent.

4. Have her stride a bit farther.

Aside from that, just give her suggestions like trying to hurt your hand. Maybe have her pretend that she's a baseball pitcher and have her throw a real fastball.

She's also skinny, so raw strength is probably an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2009
In another thread, we discussed how this video is riddled with problems.

It's also not how the women actually throw in the video.

CO, I tried to be humble, but you're right, I am smarter than Candrea. So, the point I made regarding getting the glove elbow higher now has increased credibility and validity.
I look forward to your video from the Mizzou game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild