Striding to the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Her pitching coach has some videos I’ll try and get them
Just to clarify she recently learned the screwball and was taught to stride left of the power line and now she steps there for every pitch
Wondering if this kinda of thing happens some times
It’s taken a few mphs off her fastball

We stopped throwing screw a long time ago because of this reason. My DD would stride out left for every pitch and it was causing major issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
There is absolutely no reason to stride left or right for a pitch. Later on these antics often doom pitchers from reaching their full potential. Run from any PC that teaches such nonsense.

True. Very true. Keep in mind however, many people start out with PC’s that HE and teach to step left for screw, right for a curve , lean back for a rise , forward for a drop. IR has different rules right?! So this may be an issue of how they are being coach improperly based on a different pitching style. But you are 100% accurate in IR there is no need to step but straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
S3

Is this the dreaded red box?

42ca2e86ca37b90fcb6bd0d7b01551f9.jpg

Maybe I need to review the drive mechanics thread to understand why this would cause an issue with drive. Or cliff notes if you don’t mind? My homemade box continues beyond the back of the rubber so the the load isn’t affected FWIW

Nov 25, 2012
USA
S3

Is this the dreaded red box?

42ca2e86ca37b90fcb6bd0d7b01551f9.jpg

Maybe I need to review the drive mechanics thread to understand why this would cause an issue with drive. Or cliff notes if you don’t mind? My homemade box continues beyond the back of the rubber so the the load isn’t affected FWIW

Yes, thats the one and I have to admit I have one too that I bought about 8 years ago. I am still looking for the cliff notes for Drive Mechanics myself as there is so much there but I will quote @Java for now below:

"This introduces a subject that has led to a couple heated debates on DFP… drive foot turn-out. Drive foot turn-out is completely natural and NOT a negative thing. Every decent sprinter in the world does it… many pitchers do it, and if your DD doesn’t do it… your limiting the amount she can engage the largest muscles in her leg… and they’d like to help her drive forcefully off the plate…so let them! If you still don’t believe it… well… you might be getting in your own way... and hers."

There are many articles out there that state just the opposite which is unfortunate IMO. Here is a link to one and there are so many more:

https://softballpitchingtools.com/correct-foot-turn/

The author of that article almost seems like she read Drive Mechanics first and then wrote the complete opposite. Anyway, I think if people pay attention to the drive foot of many of the pitchers on TV they will see drive foot turnout.

Here is a pic from that thread:

drive foot turnout.jpg

Feb 15, 2017
Yes, thats the one and I have to admit I have one too that I bought about 8 years ago. I am still looking for the cliff notes for Drive Mechanics myself as there is so much there but I will quote @Java for now below:

"This introduces a subject that has led to a couple heated debates on DFP… drive foot turn-out. Drive foot turn-out is completely natural and NOT a negative thing. Every decent sprinter in the world does it… many pitchers do it, and if your DD doesn’t do it… your limiting the amount she can engage the largest muscles in her leg… and they’d like to help her drive forcefully off the plate…so let them! If you still don’t believe it… well… you might be getting in your own way... and hers."

There are many articles out there that state just the opposite which is unfortunate IMO. Here is a link to one and there are so many more:

https://softballpitchingtools.com/correct-foot-turn/

The author of that article almost seems like she read Drive Mechanics first and then wrote the complete opposite. Anyway, I think if people pay attention to the drive foot of many of the pitchers on TV they will see drive foot turnout.

Here is a pic from that thread:

View attachment 13850

That is why I love DFP. Always learning something new. We have been attempting to model DD’s leg drive mechanics to that of Garcia. I see you posted alot on that thread. I have studied alot of her mechanics in slo-mo with DD. I have studied alot of others as well and in my opinion hers is at the top of the pile. One thing I like is that it is super efficient and IMO when DD is loose and efficient it shows in her velocity and accuracy.

So I say all that to say this - I went back and looked at alot of clips and I don’t seem to see that turnout. What gives? Would a box that wasn’t tight to the foot be ok to allow some of this turnout but yet achieve the objective of not turning and pushing off the side of the foot and dragging the anchor?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
We have been attempting to model DD’s leg drive mechanics to that of Garcia.

So I say all that to say this - I went back and looked at alot of clips and I don’t seem to see that turnout. What gives?

1. You picked a good one to model after! She is amazing and a great study in mechanics. 2. So to answer your question on what gives? First great question, Second, and the best answer I can come up with is camera angle. Couple that with studying drive foot turnout over and over and then all of a sudden you will immediatly see it. Some girls have more than others and I do think there can be too much which does lead to the side of the foot dragging like an anchor which is not advantageous. So, too much DFT (drive foot turnout) will lead to more of a side of the foot push, NO DFT doesn't allow you to engage your biggest muscles in your legs and causes a number of timing issues as well. All that said, I don't think this is much of a "TEACH" if any at all. The majority of girls will turn out naturally and on their own to some degree and it will vary but it will be natural for that girl. The Power Push, Foot Prison, Etc. Etc., makes a pitcher do something that is not natural IMO. I remember when DD first used it 8 years ago she would kick it all over the place for weeks. She finally got it but what I didn't know at the time as it screwed up her drive big time for awhile. Anyway, I digress......

So, back to your question, and the subject Rachel Garcia..... I tried to pull a variety of still pics from HS to UCLA to show you her DFT. The best way to see this is via youtube, pause, and then use COMMA and PERIOD keys to go backward and forward Frame by Frame. Once you do that, you will see what is more difficult to see in a slo-mo video IMO. See next few posts.

*****as I posted the pics below I realized it is still very difficult to see from the pics. I encourage you to go to the youtube videos and follow the directions above to go Frame by Frame over and over and you will be able so see how straight the foot is (would fit perfectly in the Power Push) and then as she starts to rotate her foot and push she would kick it out to the side.

My apologies my video/pic editing isn't any better.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Great posts. Thanks for the time you put into that response. I definitely learned something new. So many little things that make a good pitcher a great one.

Actually learned 2 things today by studying the point we have been discussing....the other being the point of more emphasis on the drive out by the rear leg and less emphasis on reaching out with the lead leg. Was so focused on the beginning of her drive mechanics and didn’t notice the almost complete lack of stretch with the front. Definitely have some things to work on with DD this next week or so.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Great posts. Thanks for the time you put into that response. I definitely learned something new. So many little things that make a good pitcher a great one.

Actually learned 2 things today by studying the point we have been discussing....the other being the point of more emphasis on the drive out by the rear leg and less emphasis on reaching out with the lead leg. Was so focused on the beginning of her drive mechanics and didn’t notice the almost complete lack of stretch with the front. Definitely have some things to work on with DD this next week or so.

Always good to discuss things here which helps us all. I am constantly learning from all the different perspectives and experience people share here as well! Best of luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi