Striding to the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This thread took a turn for the better. Never know when there will be a twist in the plot. I think coachbubbles' post was pivotal. ;)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Good thread and videos.

Here's Coach White in a simplistic video about drive foot turnout:
https://youtu.be/WRfshNPrqRo

Great video Tatonka. I am glad you posted this as this is the kind of stuff out there that can throw people off IMO. Not real sure what to think of it to be honest since it is coming from Mike White. The girl in the video tries to do what he said and she still has a small bit of turnout (because it is natural) yet she doesn't move the ball. She is obvioulsy trying to do what he says and still a bit of turnout while trying not too.

Not sure if Mike White is trying to do this so the DFT is kept minimal or natural. In other words, if you over correct (with this drill) then when you actually pitch you will be somewhere in the middle ala Doug Gillis stride to left right drill. If he is then great, but alot of people will take this to the most literal degree (which I would as well, heck, it is Mike White) and put softballs, foot prisions, etc. on their kids.

Will post 2 of his pitchers below: 1. Cheridan Hawkins with Rich Balswick 2. Miranda Elish (she apparantly didn't listen to him if he tried the ball drill with her ;)

Nov 25, 2012
USA
2019-02-28.jpg2019-02-28 (1).jpg

Miranda Elish on this one. Sometimes the still pics are hard to see so you have to look for other signs like where is the knee pointing. Knee cant point to the right for the righty if the foot stays straight. Unless of course you are a triple jointed mutant. Also, in this one, the logo on the socks tells it all.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
2019-02-28 (2).jpg2019-02-28 (3).jpg

Hawkins with Rich. a bit grainy but look at the knee in both clips. Knee can't look like that if the foot stays straight.

Thanks again for posting this Tatonka! These types of things are great discussion topics and help a great deal. Now back to my lunchtime episode of Myth Busters :p

Nov 8, 2018
Great video Tatonka. I am glad you posted this as this is the kind of stuff out there that can throw people off IMO. Not real sure what to think of it to be honest since it is coming from Mike White. The girl in the video tries to do what he said and she still has a small bit of turnout (because it is natural) yet she doesn't move the ball. She is obvioulsy trying to do what he says and still a bit of turnout while trying not too.

Not sure if Mike White is trying to do this so the DFT is kept minimal or natural. In other words, if you over correct (with this drill) then when you actually pitch you will be somewhere in the middle ala Doug Gillis stride to left right drill. If he is then great, but alot of people will take this to the most literal degree (which I would as well, heck, it is Mike White) and put softballs, foot prisions, etc. on their kids.

Will post 2 of his pitchers below: 1. Cheridan Hawkins with Rich Balswick 2. Miranda Elish (she apparantly didn't listen to him if he tried the ball drill with her ;)

645cd575e3d722728e8cc86b109c096c.jpg

40925d67f4a42b9a310c20f90fc00295.jpg

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
Love the info we're seeing here. Wasn't going to post these videos here but thought it could be constructive to others. I may be wrong, but I don't think my dd DFT is excessive (or not by much anyway), but notice the way the foot flips out to her right instead of dragging. She is coming back from an injury and long layoff and it looks a little worse than it has at times (I think indoor pitching doesn't help at all with no dirt to drag in). It's all a work in progress, and you'll see the front side needs work. Any and all constructive criticism welcomed but if I don't want to hijack this thread so if it isn't related to DFT I'd love to hear feedback with a PM.

https://youtu.be/QXK95aoptMg
https://youtu.be/B0PiB_pohIE

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Love the info we're seeing here. Wasn't going to post these videos here but thought it could be constructive to others. I may be wrong, but I don't think my dd DFT is excessive (or not by much anyway), but notice the way the foot flips out to her right instead of dragging. She is coming back from an injury and long layoff and it looks a little worse than it has at times (I think indoor pitching doesn't help at all with no dirt to drag in). It's all a work in progress, and you'll see the front side needs work. Any and all constructive criticism welcomed but if I don't want to hijack this thread so if it isn't related to DFT I'd love to hear feedback with a PM.

https://youtu.be/QXK95aoptMg
https://youtu.be/B0PiB_pohIE

Thanks for posting and glad you did. Definitely some areas that I would encourage the group to comment on. Truth is, that was my DD a few years ago. But her DFT is much better than my DD's at the time so nothing to change there IMO. I will post more thoughts in the next day or so as I am off to volleyball now with my youngest but alot of good things going on here as well.

FSR and getting a drag vs a leap are the top 2 right off the top of my head which you already mentioned. More to come to try and help. In the meantime, DFP, help [MENTION=13317]mmeece[/MENTION] out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi