Striding to the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Without video I am guessing she might be driving off the inside of her drive foot instead over “over her toes” and that has her hip alignment angled that way. Flat guessing though. Pitching with a powerline mat? Video would really help the gurus address the root of the issue better. I can think of maybe 3 things I would want to look at before saying “here’s why”.

I'm very interested in this line of thinking. My dd (also RHP) is having an issue dragging her toe. During her drive her right foot flips out to the right to some degree instead of pointing down and dragging. She has a strong drive and although it hasn't been a big issue yet, she could easily be called for illegal pitches when it is at it's worst. She has also had an issue stepping left at some points, though it isn't always in issue. Any thoughts about how to correct the issue if driving off of the inside of the foot is the problem?

Feb 15, 2017
I'm very interested in this line of thinking. My dd (also RHP) is having an issue dragging her toe. During her drive her right foot flips out to the right to some degree instead of pointing down and dragging. She has a strong drive and although it hasn't been a big issue yet, she could easily be called for illegal pitches when it is at it's worst. She has also had an issue stepping left at some points, though it isn't always in issue. Any thoughts about how to correct the issue if driving off of the inside of the foot is the problem?

Absolutely. A combination of a drag box and balance beam should correct the drag issue. DD pitches about once a month 20-30 pitches out of the drag box as maintenance now that she has cured that particular problem.

Nov 25, 2012
USA

When I saw the OP start this thread I knew it would take a life of its own. And to be honest, some of the best threads have back and forth going on which isn't always a bad thing.

1. To answer the OP question and without video, I would start with simple BM 9 oclock drill, then Rick's TTL drill, then same drill except with full circle (full circle drill) and then same drill from the rubber (right foot on the rubber and left foot already in stride), and finally full circle drill from rubber from pitching rubber stance ie. Left foot behind rubber and right foot on or in front of if RHP.
Point being go back to basics and back chain her pitch back to normal. Sounds like she used to do it for other pitches, steps left for screwball, but others were okay. This should help IMO.

1A. Since this is a recent "change" I suggest point 1. That said, and not going to get in the middle of a stride left or right discussion as that would be too much fun. I will save the stride left, right, or straight for another time as we can all point to many who do one way or the other. IE Monica Abbott, Doug Gillis, etc. etc. I posted this because it sounds like she is much farther left than she used to be on ALL pitches and you want to change her back on the other pitches besides the screwball. Thus why I suggest the above. Take a step back from the screw ball and just work on the other pitches if your desired outcome is to get back to where she was.

2. MMeece- quoted you as need to know more. How far is her right foot turning. Drive foot turnout is completely normal and encouraged! You see it in most of the top pitchers out there IMO. Java did a nice write up in Drive Mechanics. You mentioned your DD at times could almost be illegal but not sure what you mean by that. Some pitchers will have a very late push after they have already turned their foot almost parallel to the rubber which can lead to a small leap (but not a replant). Is this what you mean?

3. Coach Bubbles- I think I know but want to confirm what a drag box is? You are not talking about the red foot prison are you? Please confirm if you don't mind.

Lastly, I could show endless pitchers with drive foot turnout but don't have the energy right now to post videos. But will post a couple to make the point....If they used the red foot prison they would shoot it across the gym, field, etc. Would encourage anyone interested in this topic to watch some college games this weekend and focus on the pitchers drive foot.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA

watch her drive foot turnout. Not the best example because she is in a gym and takes a gym step because she doesn't have a rubber but you get the point of DFT (drive foot turnout).

Jul 22, 2015
[MENTION=7284]STRIKE3[/MENTION]
Her turnout really isn't excessive, and probably is part of the reason her drive is generally very strong. The issue is that as she finishes her drive the foot sort of "chickenwings" out to her right instead of the laces of her shoe coming more forward and the toes dragging (I think this is exactly what you meant in #2 of your post). This creates somewhat of a leap. At times it's really difficult to even see, and at others she is flying pretty high. I've wanted to avoid the dreaded red box because I've heard bad things related to killing a pitcher's drive. I'm just looking to make sure she stays legal. I think the hip and thigh angle might be part of the actual issue.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
One more and still a favorite of mine because she could spin with the best of them.

Also, just one more point and completely off topic, but Delaney is a model pitcher in so many ways. Having timing issues? Take a look at her backswing and the top of her backswing and where her righ foot is at the top of her backswing. It is completely flat and bearing all or almost all her weight. Won't add to this as I don't want to be a highjacker here but IMO a big timing piece that is often missed and where people get confused with overlap and don't understand it.

S3

Nov 25, 2012
USA
[MENTION=7284]STRIKE3[/MENTION]
Her turnout really isn't excessive, and probably is part of the reason her drive is generally very strong.

Awesome, based on what you said above I am not sure I would change anything at this point. Of course, that statement is without seeing any video of her but hopefully you know what I mean.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi