Stride Vs No Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I like a stride. I've always preferred hitters to stride for the reasons listed previously. From what I see, they get a little more drive into the ball and it helps with their timing.

This past weekend I was working with one of my players who played club ball in the fall and may work up the nerve to try to walk on at a D1 school next year. She generally hit no-stride, which is fine. Excellent hitter overall. We'd played around a bit with striding last year. At first it helped her hit the ball harder, but a couple of weeks with her HS coach and her crazy instruction and it was back to the no-stride.

Anyway, I watched her a bit and tweaked a few things. Then she asked "Can I try striding?" Heck yeah! She started hitting the ball with more command, and was getting more line drives. This was off of front toss so take it for what it's worth. It did seem to help her become more aggressive in her swing.

May 12, 2008
I'll be a bit of a contrarian, here.

Let me start by stating that I agree that either stride or no-stride can work well. I have taught both, my own daughter has done both, and I am confortable with either, both on a short-term and a long-term basis.

That said, I DON'T find going back-and-forth simple. I find it takes time to dial-in to either. Could just be me, though.

While I can appreciate the potential negatives associated with a stride, I would also note that the vast majority of the world's best hitters (MLB) emply one. I don't think that can be ignored, and I believe there is a reason.

I think there is potentially a SMALL power gain to be had, but by small, I mean maybe 5-10%. Probably not enough of a reason to use a stride in and of itself.

A more important reason is probably the ability to USE the stride as a timing mechanism. Rather than "unconnection on off-speed pitches," I think that a properly utilized stride ENHANCES connection on off-speed pitches. In fact, I can't think of any mechanism that does it better.

As for head movement, I would note this: If head movement is consistent, it probably doesn't affect motor skills negatively. I remember a couple studies posted at Setpro that documented this. If the movement is consistent, the brain soon takes it into account and motor skills are unaffected. VARIABLE head movement IS a problem. But I don't see anything in a stride that necessarily leads to ANY head movement, much less variable head movement. Not that it couldn't - anything done incorrectly will work less than optimally. Got to do it right.

In my experience, MOST female hitters benefit - at least incrementally - from a correctly implemented stride. Some additional power, better timing consistency, stronger impetus to launch the swing (don't get "frozen" by unexpected pitches). The later point is big, and the necessity for it often doesn't arise until the hitter matriculates to face REALLY good pitching. Which happens towards the end of the 10 year (or so) career of the typical elite female hitter. Change is harder once a hitter is that experienced, so that increases the risk of non-adoption at a younger age. Not a HUGE point, but it is true.

That said, I often start no-stride. But I don't wait too long to implement the stride (assuming that is a part of the long-range plan for the individual hitter). Waiting TOO long - but then adding it anyway - adds to the complexity.

A final point - there are definitely college coaches who would prefer to see the hitter stride. It is a factor in their evaluation. Not sure I've heard of it going the other way often, if ever.

Best regards,

Scott

I don't have any problem with all that as long as adding the stride doesn't crash the system resulting in less from more. I don't have a problem with a hitter staying no stride either given some elite hitters do so.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I believe a stride will generate more power. Like hitter said, cant throw unless you step out.

A common thing I see with most of the girls I work with is what Chris has mentioned. The swing starting before the heel plants.

95% of the girls I give a lesson too do this. Which is about 15 girls. 13 of them do this.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
A common thing I see with most of the girls I work with is what Chris has mentioned. The swing starting before the heel plants.

My older son has done this at various times, which is why I'm familiar with it.

He uses the time provide by the stride to start his swing sooner. That (kind of) lets him get away with a longer swing.

Of course, this doesn't scale.

The logic of taking away the stride is to reduce the ability to cheat in this way. It's not a panacea, but it can help.

Oct 29, 2008

I do know what you mean by this (I think).

But how would you define "swing starting?"

I believe the majority of the elite hitters in the world ABSOLUTELY rotate their hips into front heel plant. Their power comes from their core, and the core is working very early. SOme really good hitters - Pujols comes to mind - visibly cock / load the hips, then begin to UNload the hips all while the stride foot is in the air. And I think that is supremely GOOD mechanics.

Imagine you do as well. I'm guessing what you are referencing with your comment is the UPPER body engaging and unloading (if it was "loaded" in the first place) BEFORE the front heel plants, and in many cases, before the hips begin to roate. I agree; that is a problem.

Best,

Scott

Oct 12, 2009
I'm guessing what you are referencing with your comment is the UPPER body engaging and unloading (if it was "loaded" in the first place) BEFORE the front heel plants, and in many cases, before the hips begin to roate. I agree; that is a problem.

Correct.

The bat moves and the shoulders move 3-5 frames before the front heel plants.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Ssarge
That is what I mean.
Not loading upper part far enough and or the upper body starting to rotate before heel plant.
Tryig to get them to use the hips a tad before the upper body starts. Like the elvis move while the hands are back

Hitter lives 30 minutes from me and have been training with him 2 1/2 years. I know enough to be dangerous!!

Straightleg

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Correct.

The bat moves and the shoulders move 3-5 frames before the front heel plants.

Chris

I mean no dis respect when I say I have never and will never use frame counts as I deal with kids not MLB players and that includes CB! I have parents some are single parents who have no clue what a frame is or what it represents as to time. Could you give me a reference as to what that means from the K position to the window of release so I could give a hitter a clue as to what a frame actually is? What a frame actually means is a major factor in helping a hitter understand what it means to helping them understand timing and rhythm is

I live in a real world of kids who want to take it to the next level... help me out coach!

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Frames is not so much a teaching tool as it is an objective measure. I may be explaining something you already know but frames refers to frames in standard 30fps video. Elite hitters of both persuasions are generally four to five frames from first move of the bathead into the swing plane till contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole