Stressed out Softball Parent - Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
A friend once told me that the secret is to replay "have to do" with my kids with "get to do" with my kids. It's just a word, but you are lucky to have talented, driven kids. They may quit tomorrow, or next week, or never, but at some point they will be gone and you will miss them greatly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I do think that it is harder being the mom as we are expected to do all of the running. I have said before that I just don't have many dads that come to my lessons. Nine out of ten girls are brought by their moms. I really appreciate a dad that takes an interest in his DDs.

One dad did bring his DD last week and he spent the time walking up and down the sidewalk and talking on his telephone. His DD decided not to come back. (No wonder.)

Congrats to the dads that are active in their DDs lives.

Hmmm...I don't know what the difference is between your area and mine, but for a large majority of the girls on my DD's All-Star team, it's the dads who are the primary softball parent.

Apr 1, 2010
I told myself this the other day... that I was lucky. My kid is on her third pair of spikes this year. I couldn't belive the amount of money I'm spending, bats, batting gloves... it never ends. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a second to myself. But I'm not bailing my kid out of jail, she doesn't drink or smoke or any of that crap. She gets good grades, and is goal driven to play college ball. Kids that she played rec ball with years ago, some have dropped out, gotten pregnant, involved with drugs, etc, etc.

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky to have no time to myself. :)

That is so true; I try to always remember to be grateful! I have no proof, but I think my daughter has learned far more from softball than just softball. IMO she's learned that you have to practice and work hard if you want to be successful at anything, and the importance of teamwork and getting along with others, etc.

And those three pairs of spikes? I looked down at the passenger footwell of my car this morning and realized there were three pairs of cleats there: the old pair, the new pair and the metal pair that she can only wear when they play up. :)

Apr 13, 2010
Hello Folks,

I love being a Father and helping my daughters grow, achieve their sports related goals, and have fun playing the game. But I would be lying if I didn't admit to getting a bit stressed out with the never ending requests for this or that. Dad,"I need to get a physical, I need a ride to practice, I need a ride from practice, i want to try out for this team/that team, I need a new glove/new bat, did you sign me up for the clinic, I need someone to catch for me, play catch with me, my friend needs a ride".... I could go on and on and on.

Wow. I would LOVE IT if my DD was like that. You're complaining?

Sep 3, 2009
Hmmm...I don't know what the difference is between your area and mine, but for a large majority of the girls on my DD's All-Star team, it's the dads who are the primary softball parent.

On my dd's team, there are dads I see at every practice, and every game. Some dads only show up to games, one or two only go to the occasional game. Some, I've never seen at all.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On my dd's team, there are dads I see at every practice, and every game. Some dads only show up to games, one or two only go to the occasional game. Some, I've never seen at all.

Maybe we just have a good group of dads on this team. We have more occasional moms than occasional dads.

Apr 11, 2012
I have to admit that sometimes I get a little stressed with the $$$ going out the door for softball and the crazy schedule. Then I have a night like tonight with my DD...practicing pitching down at the field and just having a good time. Smiling, laughing, joking and making fun of each other (mainly her making fun of me as her worst catcher...I try). Priceless. It makes me appreciate that I get the opportunity to spend this time with her because soon she will be off to college...well, 6 years but time flies and it will be here before I know it and then I will have plenty of time for myself and I will probably be wishing I could be back on the bucket.

May 18, 2009
I'm a single softball dad. I can empathize with parents who have to do it all. The softball part is the part that I don't want to give up. I make choices. My house isn't as clean as I would like it. I don't have most meals at home from March through July. These are the choices I've made because I enjoy being out there with my girls. I have 8-9 years left before my youngest ages out or goes off to school. I plan on enjoying every moment I can because I will never get it back.

Aug 14, 2011
I am the softball parent-- I'm the mom. My husband is very interested in DD's softball. He works and can't always take off for long weekends for tournaments. We have 2 other kids, both boys, who are done with being toted around and forced to spend long weekends watching their sister play- they have their own interests. DD plays on a team that we frequently have to fly to tournaments, so it's cost prohibitive for the whole family to go. Plus, when DD used to pitch, hubby would get so nervous and DD would get so nervous that they figured out 5 years ago that they do better with him not around :). So I go, and he annoys the bleep out of me during games, wanting to know play by plays. He does sometimes do ball duty when he can, and it's great because they get alone time then.
It works for us this way. God knows, her ball has caused the entire family to sacrifice so much over the past nine years. This past weekend, we were in driving distance of her tournament, and it was my last time to drive her to a game. The rest if the summer is in the West Coast for us, so airplane rides only. Then college ball. I'm going to miss all this crazy, stressful time in the fields. It has been hard at times. I sometimes didn't know how we would do it. Lots of camps, lessons, practices, injuries, expenses, equipment, missed family vacations, and tears. But also lots of lessons learned, friends made, and good times.

Jun 11, 2013
On our team for the most part we see both parents handle it. We often have to split up, because with few exceptions we will not let my DD's team ruin my DS's pursuits so we do both. We have been luck on our All-Star team last year and our 12U travel this year to have great sets of parents. It's almost a little community at the tournaments and we look out for each others kids to make sure they are hydrated and have enough to eat. While it's fun to watch the games, I truly love seeing the hard work that my DD puts in to improve. I encourage every parent to get involved in a positive way. I always enjoy the rides with my DD to practice and games.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1