Strength v.s. Power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What's the difference training and performance wise? I understand that power has the advantage over strength in softball. I train with 15 lbs. dumbells so to train for power I need to lift them fast with less reps to train for power not strength? I did research over power and I'm not all that clear.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not real sure what your asking. But I power lifted in high school and up until my early 20's.

Low weights and high reps build lean quicker muscles. Heavy weights and low reps develop larger stronger muscles.

But you should never lift weights fast. Most fast reps have poor mechanics especially towards the last few reps. Plus you tend not to isolate the individual muscles you are focusing on. ( might start rocking and using your back or legs when that is not what the exercise calls for )

Slow reps are best. Why? Because you push or pull the weight ( bench-curls-military press-etc ) first. Then slowly back to the original ( relaxed position ) because it causes resistance. So you are working the muscles going and coming.

Example dumbell curls= slowly up to your shoulders, slowly back down to your sides. I promise you will feel the difference. Burn those muscles. :)

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Here you go...

Strength = how much you can lift or the maximum force you can generate

Power = how much force you can generate as fast as possible or ''EXPLOSIVE STRENGTH'' . As stated correctly above = strength + speed = power. I like to call it explosive strength as people usually get it.

Here is the usual strength and conditioning coaches do to build power....

Step #1 - Build a foundation of functional strength or muscular endurance - lift slowly or controlled for sets of 12-20 reps.

Step #2 - Build hypertrophy (muscular mass) or general strength - lift slowly or controlled for sets of 6-12 reps. This is the range in which you gain the most muscles usually.

Step #3 - Build maximum strength - lift slowly or controlled for sets of 1-6 reps. Heavy loads.

Step #4 - Convert the new strength into explosive strength => Power Training.

Power training can be trained using 4 different techniques:

Technique #1 - Olympic Lifting (cleans, snatches, and all the modified versions, etc.) => widespread in college. These are very technical lifts and they have to be done explosively. It trains explosive strength (power).

Technique #2 - Plyometrics or Jump Training => This is when you see people bounce back and forth or jump on a bench and down, etc. You've got to be explosive and it mostly train lower body explosiveness (power).

Technique #3 - Explosive Med Ball Work (it is plyometrics but done with a heavy ball) and it mostly train upper body and core explosiveness. This is VERY GOOD for softball.

Technique #4 - Fast lifting with dumbbells. Not used as regularly and can be unsafe if not done properly but if the plyometrics principles are respected, it can be effective. You can do some modified olympic lifts with Dumbbells. The big rage right now are kettlebells. It works great to build whole body power!

Hope that helps you :)

Coach Marc

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Since Coach Marc defined it already I will explain it in a more descriptive manner. When we mean strength it's building your muscles into "muscles". This component helps us carry the bat easily. This too is what we need to start our conditioning, we need a good strength base. Power is the force that we do in one explosive action. It's doing a single motion with all our force. An example, is when we swing the bat with all our might. Another would be exploding off the batter's box to 1st base. It's doing a single action with all your effort which lasts for a number of seconds.

A Workout program would start off by building strength. This would be around 12 reps with the weight giving you enough effort at the last rep. This may last around 1 and a half to two months. Explosive workouts would be heavy weights with 4-6 reps or 1-3 reps in an explosive manner good workouts are olympic lifts or med ball throws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06