Streaming stats with game hanger?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Understood, however if you are using your cell phone to run it, cell phones are not allowed on the field of play or in the dugouts.

2014 NFHS SOFTBALL RULES CHANGES

1-8-6
New
The use of electronic devices by team personnel to transmit or record information pertaining to his/her player or team’s performance shall be permitted within the team’s dugout/bench area only. Information obtained from an electronic device may be used for coaching purposes during the game.

3-6-11
New
The use of electronic devices is permitted during a game; however any information obtained shall not be used to review decisions made by the umpires.

Jun 22, 2008
2014 NFHS SOFTBALL RULES CHANGES

1-8-6
New
The use of electronic devices by team personnel to transmit or record information pertaining to his/her player or team’s performance shall be permitted within the team’s dugout/bench area only. Information obtained from an electronic device may be used for coaching purposes during the game.

3-6-11
New
The use of electronic devices is permitted during a game; however any information obtained shall not be used to review decisions made by the umpires.

For FED in 2014 yes, for ASA the rules have not changed. 2012 is the last book I have for USSSA and it also bans communications devices.

2013 USSSA book still bans communications devices.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I sit outside the field of play - up by the fence about 10- 20 or so feet from home base, depending on the complex. Comp - would this be OK for electronic devices?

If you are outside the field and not acting as a coach going in and out of the dugout you are fine. From experience on one of my daughters teams, you will also want to keep a paper copy of the scorebook. I have seen more than one battery failure or device malfunction and if there is a question about outs, batting order etc it is alot easier to see everything on a standard score page than it is on a cell phone screen.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
For FED in 2014 yes, for ASA the rules have not changed. 2012 is the last book I have for USSSA and it also bans communications devices.

2013 USSSA book still bans communications devices.

Most rule sets are not very clear.

2012 USSSA RULE 11. SPORTSMANSHIP
Sec 2. A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:
F. Use electronic communication, television monitoring or replay equipment
during the course of the game. Electronic scorebooks may be used to
record the current game.

doesn't say bans communication devices; it says not use electronic communication

The NCAA's rule is written a little more clearly

NCAA

5.9.7 Statistical information may be entered into electronic equipment (for
example, cell and smart phones, tablets, laptops) but may not be accessed or
retrieved during the game.
5.9.8 Cell phones and pagers are not allowed on the field but may be used in team
areas for purposes other than coaching or scouting except as noted in Rule
5.9.7 above. Use of a cell phone camera in a team area is prohibited from the
start of the pregame meeting until the game’s conclusion.

Jun 22, 2008
doesn't say bans communication devices; it says not use electronic communication

Generally speaking we are told not to go looking for it. If we dont see it and it is kept out of sight, then it isnt a problem. If it is taken out and is in sight, then is not someone using it?

ASA does ban them. Rule supplement 11. Communication/electronic devices, including audio/video equipment, are not allowed on the playing field or in the dugouts.

Feb 7, 2013
Since you are not on the playing field, you can score the game using your iPad or any other device you want. In fact, at times I have had scorekeepers in the dugout (to better observe the game) and have never seen an umpire make an issue of it.

May 17, 2013
Concerning Gamechanger data usage, from their website:

GameChanger | Downloading the App/ App Data Usage

A standard 9-inning game is estimated to generate approximately 10 MB of data. Below are additional estimations for other game and season lengths based off of the approximation for a 9-inning game.

Games
9-innings – 10 MB
7-innings – 8 MB
6-innings – 7 MB

So 10 5-inning games (a month) is ~60MB.

Screen size - much better to use the Ipad - I use a WiFi-only (with my phone as a hotspot). I can score about three games using the Ipad (and the hotspot lasts for about 2 1/2 games).

Cost$$$: Since you already appear to have a Gamechanger account set up with you (and the coaches) as administrators, you have a trio of choices:
(1) Pre-pay the $250
(2) Give everyone the username/password of your account so they can log in and see the Livestream free (but they edit things since they have administrator privileges).
(3) Of course I'd never "Advocate" this, but you could set up a second email account (via gmail or whatever), then you as administrator grant the second email account fan access (but not administrator privileges)) and pay the $39/year for the "Premium" content from this second account. Then any team parent who has access to this account can log in to watch the "Livestream" and they don't have editing privileges.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Cool, thank you. Are two and a half games about the limit for the batteries? Some of our complexes have electrical outlets on the light poles - I suppose I could re-charge in between games? Your #3 is very clever.....

Mar 26, 2013
ASA does ban them. Rule supplement 11. Communication/electronic devices, including audio/video equipment, are not allowed on the playing field or in the dugouts.
Umpires usually point out that the rules supplement are not rules. 4-7C covers the playing field - (1) allows electronic score book and (5) bans "electronic equipment" including cell phones, pagers, etc. Which rule bans them from the dugout?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Cool, thank you. Are two and a half games about the limit for the batteries? Some of our complexes have electrical outlets on the light poles - I suppose I could re-charge in between games? Your #3 is very clever.....

We can do four games. I have this little device that can charge my ipad while doing the fifth game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06