New to TB? Questions to Ask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was new to TB not too long ago. Thankfully, several people on the site and one in particular took an interest and helped me out quite a bit. They gave me ideas and things to think about so I could compile a list of questions which enabled me to find the right team for DD. Now, if it's at all possible, I would like to try and return the favor if I could so I will publish what I came up with. If anyone can think of more pertinent questions...please feel free to add them.

Here was my checklist:

How much are fees?

When are they due?

What do they include? i.e. uniforms, practice facilities...etc.etc.

How much fundraising does the team do and does this affect the fee structure? With some teams, the more fundraising you do, the less the fees are.

How many girls are on the team?

If DD's a pitcher...How much mound time will she get depending on where the team places her in the order?
In other words, our team carries 4 pitchers. My DD is number 2 vying for the #1 spot. She splits evenly with the other but #3 might only see 3 innings in a tournament and #4 would be lucky to see 2 innings during pool play. If we make it beyond the first elimination game, they will see a little more or depending upon who we face, a lot more.

If DD isn't pitching, will she be starting in another position or will she have to earn her way to play another position? If she's not starting somewhere and has to earn her spot (as most teams do), what does the coach suggest she work on and in what order so that she may improve and earn a starting spot?

How far does the team travel for tournaments?
Our team only travels in a radius of an hour and a half of Akron, OH with the exception of Nationals and a large tournament in Columus, OH. However, some teams will regularly travel quite far from home so you have to take into account expenses for hotel stays and food. Most will travel to one of the ABC organizations' national tournaments if they qualify. Where is it this year?

Does the team keep stats? Most do. Do they post them anywhere? Most don't so they avoid controversy. However, if you have an Android phone or iphone, you can download GameChanger or other software and keep your own score and stats to follow along the season.

These are questions that should be asked of any coach before accepting an offer on a team. If the coach hmms and haws over any of these questions, I would be very concerned. Also, talk to some of the other parents on the team. Remember, you will be spending a lot of time with them during the season. If you plan on moving teams, talk to parents of all the teams around. Many have been around TB for awhile and will have the low-down on each team.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I was new to TB not too long ago. Thankfully, several people on the site and one in particular took an interest and helped me out quite a bit. They gave me ideas and things to think about so I could compile a list of questions which enabled me to find the right team for DD. Now, if it's at all possible, I would like to try and return the favor if I could so I will publish what I came up with. If anyone can think of more pertinent questions...please feel free to add them.

Here was my checklist:

How much are fees?

When are they due?

What do they include? i.e. uniforms, practice facilities...etc.etc.

How much fundraising does the team do and does this affect the fee structure? With some teams, the more fundraising you do, the less the fees are.

How many girls are on the team?

If DD's a pitcher...How much mound time will she get depending on where the team places her in the order?
In other words, our team carries 4 pitchers. My DD is number 2 vying for the #1 spot. She splits evenly with the other but #3 might only see 3 innings in a tournament and #4 would be lucky to see 2 innings during pool play. If we make it beyond the first elimination game, they will see a little more or depending upon who we face, a lot more.

If DD isn't pitching, will she be starting in another position or will she have to earn her way to play another position? If she's not starting somewhere and has to earn her spot (as most teams do), what does the coach suggest she work on and in what order so that she may improve and earn a starting spot?

How far does the team travel for tournaments?
Our team only travels in a radius of an hour and a half of Akron, OH with the exception of Nationals and a large tournament in Columus, OH. However, some teams will regularly travel quite far from home so you have to take into account expenses for hotel stays and food. Most will travel to one of the ABC organizations' national tournaments if they qualify. Where is it this year?

Does the team keep stats? Most do. Do they post them anywhere? Most don't so they avoid controversy. However, if you have an Android phone or iphone, you can download GameChanger or other software and keep your own score and stats to follow along the season.

These are questions that should be asked of any coach before accepting an offer on a team. If the coach hmms and haws over any of these questions, I would be very concerned. Also, talk to some of the other parents on the team. Remember, you will be spending a lot of time with them during the season. If you plan on moving teams, talk to parents of all the teams around. Many have been around TB for awhile and will have the low-down on each team.

YO, thanks for paying it forward. Two other things I want to know: a) coaching staff experience and b) what positions do the coaches' kids play. Also, make sure to try and learn as much about the team from independent sources i.e., other teams' coaches, umpires, former players etc. Of course, these sources may be biased based on one-time experiences, but if there's a common thread there's probably something to it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Your forgetting the most important questions. :)

You need to ask players and parents who have been playing how they feel about the team. You will get all the answers you need, good and bad. It also gives you an insight on the parent crowd you will be spending lots of time with. Trust me, no matter how good a TB team is, a group of psycho parents will make it miserable.

Most coaches are "car salesman" and they will tell you just what they think you want to hear. Ask the customers AKA ( team members ).

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
On Fundraising-
If I earn how much goes to my players bottom line. Many coaches are happy to let you work really hard and then give little back in return and merely state it is all for the general good of the team. I agree with the general good of the team if it is a Car Wash or General function that everyone works on together. But if you go out and earn individually you should earn this for your player.

On Coaching-
Experience is much more of a concern if we are discussing older age groups. If you want to place emphasis on tons of experience in 10U age brackets you may be looking for a while.

On DD's Playing-
You should know where they play but this is a question for the parents as you get to know them. Find the one in the pack who like to share with new people when you are trying out. Ask them lots of stuff. Where Coaches DD play's is important but not life ending. Exception: If your DD is a pitcher/catcher and coaches is a pitcher/catcher then buyer beware. Pitching/Catching affects to much at any age and this can be a huge conflict on many occasions. Otherwise I have not seen to many major issues.
BTW-This sport is built on Coaches with DD's on the team so it is a bit of an oxy-moron to me to advertise against it. Without them we would be short a ton of coaches everywhere in Rec and TB. The people looking to use this as a recruiting tool do offer something unique but keep in mind it also offers coach an easier out to cut your DD too as there is less emotion involved. There are always two sides to any coin. These are the exception not the rule. A good option sure but expect to see the coach's DD in most situations.

Coaching Style-
What is the tempernment of the coach and ask parents not the coach. Agressive is not bad but maybe not for everyone. A family has their own style and mode of operation. If you are a soft handed group and you go to a hard handed coach you will hate it and vice versa. Keep in mind the way in which a coach carries himself, treats your DD as well as other's DD. Is the coach organized, on time, prepared, willing to listen, etc...
Remember: How your pair up with the Coaches matters.

How does a coach handle a hardship? If a parent looses a job does the player get kicked or is the team prepared to help in the short term until things settle out for the family?

What level of play is the team seeking? Top Level (A) Average Level (B) this could let you know quickly what level of cutthroat decisions to expect. (And, Yes, there is always some level of cutthroat decisions made in TB)

How often does the team practice?
How late on School nights?
How often will they play?

I am certain there is more...But I love this Forum b/c as a coach myself I see many parents who do not even ask at all. I try to go over many basics like this. Manytimes they look at me like TMI but it is never TMI. They will sooner or later ask me a question and I will always be able to say we were upfront about these types of things.

Feb 3, 2011
Will tardiness/absenteeism impact playing time?

Will players be allowed to play as pickup players for other teams?

As a parent who is paying for my child to be a part of your program, do I have a direct line of communication to the head coach, no questions asked?

Who maintains and manages the team finances? Will we receive regular financial reports? Will the books be open?

Apr 25, 2010
My biggest piece of advice is not to jump on the first team that offers. Do your homework first before accepting any offer. Check coachimg experience. Attend a team practice or three to get a feel for the player and the parent chemistry. A season with toxic players or parents is a nightmare. Make sure the coach has a backbone. Do not be hesitant to drive for the right fit for yoir daughter and family.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think every new TB parent needs to read this blog start to finish: Girls Fastpitch Softball

Dave hasn't added anything in over a year, but there is some really good advice and a lot of wisdom here. I miss his monthly entries.

Sep 3, 2009
Once you narrow it down to a couple of teams you're really interested in, then I'd solicit opinions of people NOT associated with the team. There you'll likely get some good info as well, especially if the coach has been coaching for a few years. You want to know how a coach really is? Ask someone whose played them before, or used to be on the team. Softball is a small community.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan