STOP the shaming...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Alexis Osorio, RHP for Alabama, got hit in the head yesterday by the second batter in the first inning at Auburn. So scary. Twitter update says she was hit in the face (we were playing, didn't see it myself). How much could a mask have helped in this situation?
She was hit in the side of the head on the left side above her ear. She turned her head so not sure how much a mask would have helped her. Would have depended on the type and if it would have deflected. We were watching and it was very scary. She was clearly concussed and wobbly as she left the game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
She was hit in the side of the head on the left side above her ear. She turned her head so not sure how much a mask would have helped her. Would have depended on the type and if it would have deflected. We were watching and it was very scary. She was clearly concussed and wobbly as she left the game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh man. That sounds awful! Twitter update on it said it hit her in the face, but several others have told me it was head/temple also. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Every time a college player takes one off the noggin the inane comments start to flow. A mask would have helped. Bet they wish they wore a mask. Masks should be mandatory for... The reality is that it is a little late to make an argument for a mask when someone is in college. There is a reason that players at the highest level forego the head gear and batting cages when they break from the nest. Despite the well thought out wisdom of keyboard safety commandos, for some players it does hinder their ability to play their position. But they are adults, it is their decision and should be respected. If you want your kid to wear a mask, fine. If not, that is your decision. Again, the decision either way needs to be respected. But the time spent evangelizing and whining about the issue would probably be better spent developing your DD's hitting and fielding skills. Those skills may come in handy if she wants to play beyond High School. :)

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
posted by a Freshman JuCo all-american on FB

“Yes I still wear a face mask on my helmet; no that does not make me any less of a badass.
When you become a collegiate softball player you have one specific decision to make before you step on the field for the first time. Do you keep the protection that you’ve gotten used to your entire career? Or do you succumb to some sort of peer pressure and take off your face mask? “You can see so much better” “Only sissies wear face masks”
I’ve heard every excuse in the book and I’ve even contemplated removing my face mask multiple times myself. “Maybe if I take off my face mask, I would see better and I will break out of my slump.” However, every time the thought crosses my mind, I witness first hand a new reason to protect one of the most important parts of my body.
My freshman year I watched one of my teammates turn on a screwball and foul it straight back off her teeth. Fortunately, she didn’t break any bones or do any permanent damage to her face. Her teeth were knocked out of position and had to be pulled back into place and she had to sit out the rest of the weekend.
“Learn how to hit the screwball and you don’t need a face mask” my coach would often say when this argument came up. And while that may be true, I guarantee you even the best of the best will miss hit the ball at least once in their career. This one miss hit could result in permanent damage to your face.
Not only that, but how unfortunate would it be if the pitcher lost control of her 65 mph rise ball and you couldn’t get out of the way fast enough? There are so many reasons for the face mask and for me, the reward will never outweigh the risk.
As a sophomore, my years of softball are dwindling and one day I will become only a spectator. Softball will become only a memory but my face is forever.
I may wear a face mask on my helmet, but that doesn’t make me any less of an All-American.”

A reply to this post by player on a top ten D1 team about her coach’s thoughts on helmet masks:
This is an awesome post, T! I love this. I used to dream of the day I could take the face mask off my helmet, and now I think back on how silly that was. I saw a girl this season leave on a stretcher because of this. Our coach forces us to wear a face mask, and I am glad. I had a close call already this season that could have seriously injured my face/changed my life. Thank goodness it didn’t!

Proud of you and hope season is going well!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like how? Seriously, explain what it is exactly that is hindering a players ability by wearing a mask. I'm open to hearing it.

It does hinder visibility. It does hinder mobility. Not something that would matter at the lower levels, but as skills advance it is an undeniable fact. To be clear, I am neither for or against and really could care less what parents and players decide.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Catching gear hinders movement too. It is a pretty easily proven fact. Guess they should make wearing it optional because it hinders them.

Which is exactly how they roll in the mens game. We are talking about the highest levels of the game. Not the local rec-league All-Stars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32