STOP the shaming...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I know you are.

Again, it’s not really the other kids doing any teasing, it’s been more the “old school” coaches in my experience making the comments, and yes, there are high school coaches around here who forbid their players from wearing them (not quite sure how they get away with it but that’s another topic for a different day).

I think you’re failing to see that I’ve actually been agreeing with your general statement in your OP that adults shouldn’t shame kids whether it be pro face mask or no face mask. Please keep in mind (and this goes for both sides of the argument), just because you personally haven’t experienced it, doesn’t mean that others have not, as well.

I know you are agreeing :)
And that really sucks that HS coaches act that way. My DD is on a HS team where the ratio is again 50/50. Coach is very old school but to my knowledge doesn't care. And he shouldn't.
Maybe in the near future it will be a non-issue.
Good luck this spring!

Nov 18, 2013
Your argument assumes that softball and baseball are the same...they are not. They are two different games. The main difference is the distance between the bases.

The exit velocity (speed off the bat) is about 20% lower in baseball...but the ball is about 20% lighter as well. So, the result is that the amount of damage that can be done in baseball or softball is the same.

a) In baseball, 3B is 80 to 90 feet away from the plate. In softball, 3B starts 50 feet from the plate. I've seen 3B come is as close as 20 feet from home.
b) Because it takes a base runner an extra second to get from home to 1B in baseball vs. softball, 3B doesn't have to charge as early.
c) The pitcher ends up 40 feet from the batter after a pitch.

Second, there is plenty of scientific evidence men are better at tracking moving objects than men.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120903221050.htm

So what’s the rational for masks in softball and not in baseball at 12 and under when field dimensions are the same? I know the pitcher is a few feet closer, but corners would play about the same.

May 27, 2013
I know you are agreeing :)
And that really sucks that HS coaches act that way. My DD is on a HS team where the ratio is again 50/50. Coach is very old school but to my knowledge doesn't care. And he shouldn't.
Maybe in the near future it will be a non-issue.
Good luck this spring!

Thanks! You and your DD as well!

We’re lucky that DD’s HS coach doesn’t care either way. However, dd is the only one who wears one on the team, which for me is kind of odd to see. Even more odd is I know some of the girls on her team from travel where they do wear them.

Apr 16, 2013
So what’s the rational for masks in softball and not in baseball at 12 and under when field dimensions are the same? I know the pitcher is a few feet closer, but corners would play about the same.

I was personally just gonna drop it. But since you mentioned it... LOL I think some of his terminology got mixed up there too. The ball exit speeds are noticeably higher, yes the ball is lighter, but it's also harder. They are two different sports and we're not comparing apples to apples. However, there are enough similarities to say that a noticeable bias exists. The only thing I care about, though, is just the bias that the boys are tougher so such rules don't need to be in place for them. Personally, I'd be just fine if leagues instituted such measures for both boys and girls. Just stop the bias.

Sorry for the soap box. My DD has spent half her life fighting the "boys are tougher than girls" bull crap.

Oct 3, 2009
FWIW everybody will have opinions on what YOUR DD should do and wear in softball. And my advice is find your own path. In my experience:

1) If your kid wears a mask, people will make comments about how she is afraid. Ignore them.
2) If your did does not wear a mask, people will say how reckless your entire family is with safety.
3) If your kid is more of a riseball, dropball pitcher people will say how can you survive without a curve/screw.
4) If your kid is more of a curve/screwball pitcher people will say they cannot survive without a great rise or drop.
5) If your kid is the starter at any position some will say she does not deserve it.
6) If your kid makes a good elite travel team some people will say she is overrated.

I could go on and on. My advice is not to listen to other people and let your DD find her way and do her thing. Her way. If that means she does not wear a mask and throws a rise that does not actually rise but drops less than a drop then rock it. Know what I mean?

Andy

Jun 29, 2013
I was personally just gonna drop it. But since you mentioned it... LOL I think some of his terminology got mixed up there too. The ball exit speeds are noticeably higher, yes the ball is lighter, but it's also harder. They are two different sports and we're not comparing apples to apples. However, there are enough similarities to say that a noticeable bias exists. The only thing I care about, though, is just the bias that the boys are tougher so such rules don't need to be in place for them. Personally, I'd be just fine if leagues instituted such measures for both boys and girls. Just stop the bias.

Sorry for the soap box. My DD has spent half her life fighting the "boys are tougher than girls" bull crap.

I agree with you justanotherguy. Reasonable solution for all IMO is to give them the same requirements re: facemasks. I never wore won in baseball, but I don't remember girls in softball wearing helmets when they played in the early 80's. Times have changed, and risks are assessed differently now, everyone can make their own opinions as to whether some make sense or not.

Feb 3, 2011
I love masks. I hate shaming in any direction. I think leagues can make rules because leagues pay for their insurance. As parents we can choose which league to participate in.

Is there a NOCSAE-approved facemask yet?

I am not a big believer in mandates of this sort, but that does not mean "I don't care" about player safety. I simply would never support a rule which mandated a piece of safety equipment that has not been thoroughly tested by a recognized, independent safety authority.

As you noted, though, the market allows us to choose whether to participate. By the same token, if the reconstructive orthodontic business rises, facemask use will probably rise with it. Let the market handle it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You have not posted too much lately, I like hearing your opinion.

I disagree with you in this situation. As long as a Team or organization informs everyone before they sign up what the rules are before hand I think you can pretty much do what you want.

2 years ago DD's HC said everyone pitching needed to wear a facemask, I had an Issue with that. Not that every pitchers needed to wear a facemask but you can not introduce random rules after you have my money.

May 20, 2015
our rec league just passed an expanded mask rule....

it used to be all pitchers......then pitchers & corner infielders

new rule is: 10u minors (our version of 8u) and 10u majors - all players wear masks (they switch pretty much every inning INF/OF, and tend to play shallow outfield.....so the transition of INF/OF always gives funky hops)

12u - pitchers & corner infield

14u - pitchers

realistically, the girls we have in 14u now all grew up wearing masks from warm up tosses on.......they start, at 12u, to take them off for OF......we don't have a single girl in our org that doesn't wear one for INF, they are just that used to them

funny story, we had a team in semis of a local tourney last season, 12u.......they had an ex-baseball guy as the HC, he was loud and aggressive......first year softball guy.......none of his INF wore masks......my 1B coach commented on it when they took the infield......he replied "our gloves are our masks"; guess he was real douchey......my 1B coach said something like "your players, hope they stay safe"......we hung 8-10 on them in the 1st, scorched some balls......every infielder had masks on for the 2nd inning (beat them 18-1 in 3, and then again in the championship 15-0 without making an out in the 3rd, haha)

May 20, 2015
problem with 'let the market handle it' - once using masks starts to become the 'accepted standard', as an organization (thinking more rec league here), you can leave yourself open if you don't require it.....mask use seems to be nearing, if not at, that critical mass point where it is an accepted standard, at least for younger rec leagues

word from on high is the MPA, the body that governs Maine high school athletics, will be having some sort of mask requirement as early as next year (of course they've been saying this for a year or two, so who knows)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12