still much work to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2013
I would ask why all the unecessary hand movement? She starts with her hands by her head and they moves them back to a good position. Why not start with them in that good position. When she begins to face faster pitching, she will be late on pitches if the timing of that unecessary movement is off at all. I would suggest setting up with her hands back toward the catcher (where she eventually ends up) and keep them there. When hitters have too much hand movement, they are more likely to use their arms and hands to generate bat speed and power, instead of their bodies.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would ask why all the unecessary hand movement? She starts with her hands by her head and they moves them back to a good position. Why not start with them in that good position. When she begins to face faster pitching, she will be late on pitches if the timing of that unecessary movement is off at all. I would suggest setting up with her hands back toward the catcher (where she eventually ends up) and keep them there. When hitters have too much hand movement, they are more likely to use their arms and hands to generate bat speed and power, instead of their bodies.

I agree that the hands are not being used correctly. However, I don't agree that the solution is to begin with the hands pulled back in cocked position in the stance. Rather, Leave the handset where it is (near the shoulder) and stride away from them, like this, IMO --

2u5z02s.gif

Apr 29, 2014
I always question how open she gets, any pitch outside will be tough for her to hit. Just my opinion

May 22, 2012
I agree that the hands are not being used correctly. However, I don't agree that the solution is to begin with the hands pulled back in cocked position in the stance. Rather, Leave the handset where it is (near the shoulder) and stride away from them, like this, IMO --

2u5z02s.gif

Yes, thank you. I also see that her hands aren't ideal. Her goal is to get stretch but she just hand loads some times

May 22, 2012
thank you for the feedback. Your assessment is mostly correct. She is more of a pull hitter. We have started working with more deep tee and driving to right center. I am hoping this will translate soon.

I always question how open she gets, any pitch outside will be tough for her to hit. Just my opinion

May 22, 2012
Watch your DD hands and try and 'feel' what she is doing. I feel 'stretch' from hands to front foot. I would like your DD 'feeling' the stretch from rear hip to hands.
A good DD to copy that is 'around' your DD's age.

RD this is a good visual thanks, I think my DD sometimes equates stretch with forward only. Is the stretch you describe achieved more by turning "inward" ?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The "stretch" should be centered in the rear hip and thigh. A lot of young hitters will try to create stretch/coil by turning their shoulders, and the stretch/coil never gets into the hip where is needs to be.

May 22, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I want to better understand proper stretch. I also want to understand proper follow through. Video examples are helpful. DD is not getting the proper follow through, especially against fast pitchers.

Do you see good stretch in this game swing? (slow pitcher)

https://www.giflike.com/a/em5CA81/ndbd

May 22, 2012
Gonna post some more vids here in the hope that this swing is going in the right direction. As always, I want your feedback!!! Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619