stickers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I like the idea of stickers and would like to use them, but LL has a dumb rule about them not being allowed. Supposedly it's a safety issue, the thought being a sticker could cover a crack in a helmet. It's not a rule that's enforced (usually) during the regular season, but it is during All Stars and sometimes playoffs.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I saw some on our HS girls helmets. I asked DD how they earned them and I liked the system. They get them for normal big plays and special games but he also gives them for well executed bunts and helping other players with their attitudes because they are so important to the team.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
sbmom19, I couldn't agree more. Stickers work great at 10u and can be a motivator at 12u. Beyond that it can become a joke. I used them last yr at 12u rec ball, plan to use them this yr. Returning players asked for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Pennies. Use pennies

UCLA coach uses pennies as a reward. Girl at the end of practice or game with most pennies, gets a reward at the end.

Can you explain this? Like the coaches physically hand out pennies the girls have to carry around? What kind of reward are we talking about?

Feb 10, 2015
I coached an 8U Softball team last year and we handed stickers out at practice for things the girls did. Hustling, making good throws, hits etc. we also would play a game at the end of practice like the bucket game and the winning team of girls got a helmet sticker. I didn't hand out stickers for the game but what we did do was hand out game balls with the date and all the coaches and girls signed them. The girl or girls (sometimes we handed out 2) who played the hardest, hit the ball, made outs, etc. got given the balls at the end of the game in front of players, coaches, and parents. The girls were always excited to see who got the ball and if they didn't get it that game it ignited a fire in them because they wanted to make sure they got it next game. Now be forewarned and we let the parents know before hand that not all girls would get a ball unless they all earned one. Some were upset with it but that's life.

Aug 30, 2015
I like the idea of stickers and would like to use them, but LL has a dumb rule about them not being allowed. Supposedly it's a safety issue, the thought being a sticker could cover a crack in a helmet. It's not a rule that's enforced (usually) during the regular season, but it is during All Stars and sometimes playoffs.

Actually, the concern is the adhesive may contaminate or degrade the plastic and weaken it.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I have used helmet stickers for years from 10-16U. The girls absolutely love them. As long as you do it right it won't become a joke. You have to know the level of your team and come up with some rules that match that level. When we were 10 we got stickers for alot of basic things. By the time that we were 16U, it had to be something big...extra base hits, rbi, great plays, etc. If the tournament was a big one, we only gave out stickers if we won. We also gave a sticker to EVERYONE any time we won. I am back at 10U now and one of my assistant coaches (former player of mine) keeps begging to bring the stickers back.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Pennies. Use pennies

UCLA coach uses pennies as a reward. Girl at the end of practice or game with most pennies, gets a reward at the end.

Maybe the girl who has the fewest pennies at the end of the season takes the whole team to dinner. That should motivate them!

Not sure pennies would work for a guys team. They would be chucking them at each other in the dugout. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles