Sticker shock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No beemer. I don't think anyone in the org is making a bunch of money, I think they just make some poor decisions and overspend in some areas and are not structured in a lean way. They really are good guys, I just think they do not make keeping the sport accessible financially to the widest possible swath of families is a top priority.

I have such a hard time keeping in line when I see things i think are wrong and right now I think the costs of this sport have gotten out of hand and it really makes me want to explore alternative models and not the 11 month a year travel ball regiment. I think there is a way they can play rec in fall, HS in spring and join up with the team for the summer season only. That fits our family's cost/committment level a whole lot more that year round ball and I do not think their play will suffer.

I guess it depends what the fees cover- is it everything but travel and hotels?

I even don't mind paying through the HS season if it is just installments for the whole year budget which is clearly set out. Not if I am paying for someone else - especially since there is bound to be SOME player movement who always seem to get away with paying some sort of pro-rated amount.

Also our younger teams don't subsidize our older teams - but our fundraising and sponsorship money is proportionally directed that way. Parents seem to like that - that the money coming directly out of their pocket is going to the team their DD is on plus fundraising money we generate (which comes through tournament hosting so is not a lot of time commitment).

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
Here I go again, being a "old school backward thinker" I am fortunate enough to be friends (close with a few) with a group of retired (not old) MLB STUDS (Two WS MVP's). I have sat down with them and asked a lot of questions (probably too many) about their personal path to MLB and what they feel is the best (Best being: cost effective, player improvement, chance of being seen) way to achieve personal goals in the sport. (some DD's goals may differ) A couple of them coach in youth sports and a few just help out. The two WS MVP's both have kids in baseball & softball and said this is how they are choosing do it. Instead of playing TB they are spending their $$ (and they have lots of it!) with personal one-on-one coaches! They feel this is the quickest way for their kids to get better and learn the correct ways to play the position. They also spend a lot of time (because they can) doing repetition work during the week on lessons learned by their coaches. One had said to me that "he doesn't understand why parents spend so much $$ on TB and not "one-on-one lessons"? Sounds good to me! Both of these guys came from really small colleges and were scouted at their college games. They did not play TB and both had outside coaches during the week. (On a side note:) I have seen both of their kids play school ball and they are OUTSTANDING players and very disciplined! GO AHEAD AND LET THE RIPPING BEGIN :0)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That does seem high JJ, but you are in a different part of the country and part of a completely different type of organization. We pay less than $200/month for DD's team, pitching lessons, and hitting lessons. Luckily DDs hitting coach lives in the same house with her, so the fee is low :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Only rip I have is .....
Instead of playing TB they are spending their $$ (and they have lots of it!) with personal one-on-one coaches!
Since.....
They also spend a lot of time (because they can) doing repetition work during the week on lessons learned by their coaches
Why don't they coach there own kids being 'WS MVP'S' and all.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One had said to me that "he doesn't understand why parents spend so much $$ on TB and not "one-on-one lessons"?

I thought the point of sports was to *play* the game...not have someone like FFS or rdbass say, "Wow, she looks great hitting off a tee."

Not that it isn't great to hear a coach give positive feedback...but, the whole point of sports is to challenge another person/team in an activity to find out who is better. And, that winning or losing are both valuable experiences, teaching the participants about not only the specific game but also about life.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One had said to me that "he doesn't understand why parents spend so much $$ on TB and not "one-on-one lessons"? Sounds good to me! Both of these guys came from really small colleges and were scouted at their college games. They did not play TB and both had outside coaches during the week. (On a side note:) I have seen both of their kids play school ball and they are OUTSTANDING players and very disciplined! GO AHEAD AND LET THE RIPPING BEGIN :0)

It is not ripping, but that they are MLB studs, so they have they have the ability to use that to their kids advantage. When a kid is the son/daughter of a great athlete, they can step in whenever and wherever they want because of their parents reputation and if they are an elite athlete through genetics as well, well they have that as well. Same with younger siblings of outstanding older siblings. Even when people find out I played D1 basketball, it makes people look at my DD differently.

I was not the kid of great athletes. I missed out on at least 2-3 major opportunities that went to the kid of the local professional team coach even though I believe I was better at the time. I used to be mad at the kid, but it wasn't him - it was his parent looking out for him. As a parent now, I understand that now.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Only rip I have is .....

Since.....

Why don't they coach there own kids being 'WS MVP'S' and all.

Usually because guys at that level are terrible coaches. I told this story before...but a couple of my MLB friends got a lesson from Willie Mays. They said it was a waste of time. Willie wasn't analytic about hitting...i.e., "they throw the ball, and I hit the ball."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA