Sticker shock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
oh...I forgot to mention that there is a $125 startup fee (even for returning players) and if I am reading it right, another $350 for uniforms even for returning players but I may be wrong on that.

Last tournament, didn't I see your head coach driving a brand new BMW?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
If I were in your boat, and decided to pony up,
I would only do so with an agreement for some very transparent accounting statements to be issued monthly.
If they are sketchy about divulging where exactly your dues are being applied, then I would probably balk.

Feb 7, 2013
I would only do so with an agreement for some very transparent accounting statements to be issued monthly.

Yep, all these orgs claim to be non-profits but they never send the team families monthly budgets to actuals so we have a good idea if the money is being allocated properly.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We are holding steady this year at 3500 for 18U and 17 tourneys. It's the winter workout facilities that run our costs up a lot. I am glad I just have the one.

Feb 7, 2013
We are waaaaaay smaller org in a waaaay smaller market, but our younger teams pay more to help support the older teams.

This is another thing I don't understand and is patently unfair when the younger teams fund raise and have high dues to support the older teams. At 12U, DD was on one travel ball team where they raised several thousand dollars and most went to the older team and guess what, the younger team disbanded after the season and the only team left was the 18u team in which non of the younger players will ever see any of the money as they are no longer part of the program.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Last tournament, didn't I see your head coach driving a brand new BMW?

No beemer. I don't think anyone in the org is making a bunch of money, I think they just make some poor decisions and overspend in some areas and are not structured in a lean way. They really are good guys, I just think they do not make keeping the sport accessible financially to the widest possible swath of families is a top priority.

I have such a hard time keeping in line when I see things i think are wrong and right now I think the costs of this sport have gotten out of hand and it really makes me want to explore alternative models and not the 11 month a year travel ball regiment. I think there is a way they can play rec in fall, HS in spring and join up with the team for the summer season only. That fits our family's cost/committment level a whole lot more that year round ball and I do not think their play will suffer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA