step back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One of our girls asked me today, "why can't we step back in most sanctions, but can in school ball, and why don't they in college"?I'm not sure if it has ever been properly explained to me. Does anyone know why? In an intelligent detailed response?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is a little archaic. You've got to think of the game as it was in 1985, not in 2010. In 1985, there were only a few travel teams in the entire US, and there were only a few female pitchers in the entire country who knew how to throw the ball. There just weren't any pitchers.

To try to make it easier to find pitchers who could at least get the ball to the plate, the HS associations allowed step backs. Even today, in the smaller schools, it is tough to find a pitcher. Every time there is a suggestion to change the rule, the coach of the Podunk Possums with only 45 girls in the entire school says, "Hey, if you do that, we won't field a team." So, the rule stays in.

At the advanced travel ball and college level, the ASA and NCAA decided that they wanted more scoring. The ASA/NCAA thought that if there was more scoring, people would flock to see softball games. So, they eliminated the step back.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, you still may not. :)

I agree with the context that HS has more limited access to players and the allowance for the step back is for participation purposes.

However, I question that the ASA or NCAA did anything. I can document the requirement for both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate as early as 1936.

Softball Official Rules (1936), page 6, Rule 8:

Position of Pitchers
(a) Preliminary to pitching, the pitcher shall take his position facing the batsman, with both feet squarely on the ground and both fee on top of the pitcher's plate. The ball shall be held in both hands, in front of the body.

Now, the ASA (NCAA used same rules) probably changed it to just "contact", but both feet on the PP has been around for at least 74 years.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well, you still may not. :)

I agree with the context that HS has more limited access to players and the allowance for the step back is for participation purposes.

However, I question that the ASA or NCAA did anything. I can document the requirement for both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate as early as 1936.

Softball Official Rules (1936), page 6, Rule 8:

Position of Pitchers
(a) Preliminary to pitching, the pitcher shall take his position facing the batsman, with both feet squarely on the ground and both fee on top of the pitcher's plate. The ball shall be held in both hands, in front of the body.

Now, the ASA (NCAA used same rules) probably changed it to just "contact", but both feet on the PP has been around for at least 74 years.

Very interesting!!

Jan 20, 2010
Do you know if thats still the rule in high school. Been told by two blues that you have to have both feet on rubber in high school. I have read that you dont ,but dont have a rule book for high school.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In our state you must START with both feet on rubber. But can step back during delivery. Go to your state HS governing site ( for all athletics ), they will have info online. Ours does.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In our state you must START with both feet on rubber. But can step back during delivery. Go to your state HS governing site ( for all athletics ), they will have info online. Ours does.

If that is so, your state either plays under rules other than NFHS or have amended NFHS rules to their own preference.

NFHS does not require pitchers to have both feet in contact with the PP.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Rule Varies

My understanding is that this rule varies from state to state dependent on the sanctioning state HS board. I know in Texas back when my daughter played 2006 it was still allowed. Do not know now.

Dana

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32