Step Back Legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi Everyone,
When my daughter came from inner city rec-ball to suburban travel ball the first game she pitched, the opposing coach told us (her coach and I) that stepping backward with the stride foot and then coming forward was illegal. This took relatively little time to fix and very little struggle on my daughter’s part. Just this past week my daughter was playing a school ball game and the opposing pitcher was doing the step back maneuver. Dd told her coach it was illegal and suggested she say something to the ump about it. The coach asked me what I thought; I told her I knew it was illegal in travel ball but not sure about High School Ball. She decided to say something to the ump and he enforced it. Now I am pretty sure this ump did not know the rule because he was perplexed as to what the coach was telling him. So I wondered if anyone knew the rule for sure. Thanks for the help.
Mike

Oct 19, 2009
NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) allows the pitcher to start with her stride foot touching the rubber or behind it. As far as I know they are the only sanctioning body that allows a pitcher to do this. So for travel (likely ASA, USSSA, NSA, whatever) this is illegal. Most states adopted NFHS as its rule set for school ball so in that case it is probably legal where you live in school ball only.

However, for pitchers with college aspirations I would not recommend taking advantage of this rule during school ball. NCAA does not allow it so there is no sense developing a bad habit even if it's legal.

Jun 22, 2008
In high school ball, the pitcher is allowed to start with the stride foot back, or can step back prior to the hands coming together. But, once the hands are together, all motion must be forward.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have seen many that use the step back in HS, use a deep 'rock back' in travel. Very effective for those who can effectively execute it.

Jan 15, 2009
I have seen many that use the step back in HS, use a deep 'rock back' in travel. Very effective for those who can effectively execute it.

I agree, we have three pitchers on our summer team. 2 of the 3 choose to not use the rock back step when available (HS and USSSA) the other does and is very effective with it and has no issues with switching back and forth. I think many pitchers warm up with a walk through delivery and it's not dissimilar to that motion. It's up to the individual as to whether they can benefit from it or not, but it definitely can be a competitive advantage to be able to do it.

Mar 13, 2010
NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) allows the pitcher to start with her stride foot touching the rubber or behind it. As far as I know they are the only sanctioning body that allows a pitcher to do this. So for travel (likely ASA, USSSA, NSA, whatever) this is illegal. Most states adopted NFHS as its rule set for school ball so in that case it is probably legal where you live in school ball only.

However, for pitchers with college aspirations I would not recommend taking advantage of this rule during school ball. NCAA does not allow it so there is no sense developing a bad habit even if it's legal.
It's legal in PONY.

Apr 25, 2010
I agree in most HS leagues it is leagal. I know in WI it is and we are covered by the WIAA, but most of the HS pitchers that I know do use this step practice because of the summer/travel teams they are on that play ASA which does not allow it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG