stealing signs from opposing catcher / coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
redhack, how do you know that no one has figured it out? I know this former high school baseball/softball coach who stole the signals of every coach in the area both offense and defense and kept a file on every area team. Yet, no one knew that he had all of those signs.:)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
redhack, how do you know that no one has figured it out? I know this former high school baseball/softball coach who stole the signals of every coach in the area both offense and defense and kept a file on every area team. Yet, no one knew that he had all of those signs.:)

As a coach, I think just the process of stealing the other guys signs is fun, even more rewarding once you get them down. My wife always said how can you figure out ball game signals in a few innings..........and you can't figure out mine in 20 years? I say, "because there is a pattern to ball signals". And then I run!!! :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Shhhh. Quiet.

Mar 31, 2011
Simple, my other hobby is cryptology ;). I use a primer for each game and a rolling key. It is simple, take you 40-50 signs to figure it out. Next game you get to start over. It is my numerical twist on a ROT13 cipher. I really hope they waste their time trying to figure it out. Cuts downon their ability to coach.

The best signs I have used are right in front of other coaches and they not even know it was a sign. Deception is the best and easiest method to fool sign stealers and the girls have fun with it. It is an exercise in social engineering.

Mar 31, 2011
Also make sure you create patterns in your fake signals. It gives them hope.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
My wife always said how can you figure out ball game signals in a few innings..........and you can't figure out mine in 20 years? I say, "because there is a pattern to ball signals". And then I run!!! :)

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Back when I was in 10th grade I made the varsity baseball team. I rarely played, but my time on the bench was well spent. I found that had an amazing talent for stealing signs. I do not know where this "gift" came from. My coach back then would ask me to rely the opposing teams signs to my teammates. I did this by using different words to describe the other teams intended play. It became very addicting and I would catch myself trying to steal signs at any game that I attended. When I started coaching softball many, many years after high school ,the stealing signs monkey was on my back again. I just can't help it. I have even taught my players how to steal signs and de-code various situations. If they are on the bench, they must be actively involved in game. This is one way to do it. The girls have developed a code that is very complex, yet effective. I will never steal signs from catchers to pitchers, only from opposing coaches. Stealing signs from players that are 30-40 years younger than you is not right.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Whether coach or player; this is part of the game. Why would we all go to such lengths to hide them otherwise? We just yell out what to pitch for all to hear.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Stealing signs from players that are 30-40 years younger than you is not right.

I would never steal signs from girls 40 years younger, I wasn't even born 40 years ago. :)

You're not stealing calls from the players, you're stealing calls from the coaches. Yea some catchers call games, but not many call them in the big games. Maybe it's coach macho pride, IDK?

As a coaching group we had fun trying to figure the calls, that what I've missed this year not coaching DD. Some games we never got them, some games we had them by the second inning. We had a former college pitcher, a former college SS, a former HS catcher, and former HS 1B. So we had a decent collective of experience from all views and experience. Sometimes we'd pair up in teams of 2 and see who could figure them out first, maybe bet lunch or a drink from concessions. I've really missed those dugout times. Enjoy those times if youre coaching your daughters, when they are over it sucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors