stealing signs from opposing catcher / coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2012
I can see both sides of the story.

I would rather teach my batters to look for "tells" from the pitcher, than have, or rely on, me to let her know what pitch is coming.

As for offensive and defensive signs and signals, again, I would rather teach my defense to read the situation and determine what might happen. Read the batters feet to see if she will bunt. Watch for hand separation and react to bunt. There are so many aspects of a play that need to be executed that I would rather yell across the field, "Steal" then give a sign. So you know what I am doing...Now defend against it! You need two perfect throws and a tag to my run and slide. Good luck.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is hard to tell who is sillier at 12U--the coaches who steal the signs or the coaches who give the signs.

Agreed. ...

Let's say the tying run is on third, and the opposing team calls a suicide squeeze. At 12U, I'd rather my team NOT know that. I want to see how they handle the surprise. How does it help the development of my team and players if they know what's about to happen? I don't want to know the other team's plays or pitches. Winning is not that important for the group that I am coaching.

Aug 7, 2012
What happens when you can't figure out the signs? I'd rather a coach spend time with the kids teaching them what they might expect in a count or situation and have them think for themselves.

Although asking the team to try and steal the signs might be a good ploy to have the girls pay close attention to the pitcher... ;-)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Coogansbluff,
Then you sir should not be coaching. I kid of course. It is their game, let them learn to think out there. Hopefully the coaches have prepared them on the situation and what to expect.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Stealing signs does seem a little bit silly in youth ball, but it is a good learning experience for the girls - it will teach the catcher to hide her signs or make them more complicated; a useful skill for later.

Jul 28, 2008
I have no problem with the girls stealing the signs and letting each other in on it, it's their game. If I happen to get them, I keep it to myself.

Jun 21, 2010
I often wonder how the offense or defense know what the sign is when you see all the hand movement, with indicators, and so on. DD's coach from last year is also a HS coach and he has very complex signals for hitters and base runners. If you can decipher those signals, I'd like to know how you did it.

May 13, 2012
never have even tried probably couldn't if i did. I do like the idea of the girls trying just getting them to focus more.

Mar 31, 2011
I give out pitching signs in the open, everyone can see them. I use a pattern and a key that the catcher and pitcher both know. Works, is quick and easy and no one has figured it out. If you wrote them down and tracked the pitches you could pick it up by the forth inning.

Coaches do not seem to even try. However I did have a dad in the stands that thought he had it and started calling out what was Comming to the batters. Mind you we are talking 4 pitches and then location. He did more to help my DD pitch than anyone. He was almost always wrong, and even if he was right DD just switched. That Dad created more K's than DD did. Coach finally told him to stop in the 5 inning.

Once had an AC call pitches for DD from the bucket and he had the signs mixed up. Came up to me after the third inning and said I do not know what she is doing, she is not pitching what I call and she cannot hit her spots, but she's striking them out. I just nod and say I do not know. He finally asked the Catcher in the forth and me and some other dads had a good laugh.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors