Stats Programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I guess I didn't go into too much detail about what we considered a QAB's, and maybe I was wrong in saying that it was less outcome oriented. It is just a different thought process than we grew up tracking. Our QAB criteria covers more of the things that aren't necessarily that stats that show up in typical stat book that most people pay attention to and I'm not talking about the GameChanger QAB's. Did the player do one of the following: Move a runner over, See more than 4 pitches after 2 strikes, barrel up a pitch-still got out, walk, drive in a run, get on base by hitting the ball hard creating an error, seeing more than 8 pitches in ab, get a hit, sac fly, sac bunt, help out the team somehow. Many of these don't really show up in the box score but they helped the team somehow. Having a team goal of .700 QAB's is what we strived for at 14U. It didn't always happen, but it was a goal. When the players are on the bench it gives them something to else to focus on during the game. The game within the game. The softball savvy players really took to it and there were other girls that were checked out that you knew didn't get it or would never get it. Of course, we still kept the traditional stats, but having that additional informational helps out.

I really like the way you are using the QAB concept to keep everyone in the game and to further the girls' understanding of the game. However, as a GC stat, IME QABs seem to be cited most frequently for those hitters that you don't want up in critical situations and those hitters that you want up in those situations have strong primary stats, which, not surprisingly, are accompanied by well above average QAB numbers.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The main problem with Gamechanger is that it's only supported on Apple products. On Android your Screwed. OTOH, and I don't know if this is still true or not, iscore cost $20 for the app on Apple products and it's free on Android. Also, that same was true for GC. Anyone wonder why GC decide to focus on Apple development versus Android?

I believe iScore is a one time fee for the app, while GC charges people who want to follow a teams games an annual fee. Therefore, iScore is much cheaper in the long run and I do not think it gives any cumulative stats to viewers, although someone with enough time on their hands could go game-to-game and creating stats in a spreadsheet.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You can allow for the parents to only see the stats of their player on game changer. When I coached, I shared the stats with the girls as it showed areas to work on. Also, gave me an opportunity to discuss why certain stats don't tell the whole story. I had the girls keep track of quality at bats. This stat is less outcome oriented while focusing more on the process.

QAB rewards players for hitting the ball hard and seeing lots of pitches in an at-bat. One player may go 3-3 in a game with 3 "Texas Leaguer" bloop singles, while another player could go 0-3 because the OF made 3 diving catches on line drives in the gap, but with game on the line in the bottom of the 7th inning which player do you want at the plate? Most teams do not play enough games in a season for cumulative stats to "normalize", so QAB adds another data point for coaches.

Jun 12, 2015
For Android iScore was $10 but I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple version were more expensive. Once you pay the app fee, that's it. Definitely the more cost effective option. And the way they do the games for people watching at home is way cooler than GC IMO.

Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for the comments. Last season we used GC and people were able to search on Google to find game summaries, etc. Was wondering if there is a way on GC or iScore to "hide" any information when doing a Google search.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks for the comments. Last season we used GC and people were able to search on Google to find game summaries, etc. Was wondering if there is a way on GC or iScore to "hide" any information when doing a Google search.

Whoever the Administrator is of that team can "hide" that. Normally unless you are a paying member of GC AND the administrator approves the person to view it, you cannot see very much, so I'm not sure what you mean by doing a search and seeing information.

Mar 9, 2015
Whoever the Administrator is of that team can "hide" that. Normally unless you are a paying member of GC AND the administrator approves the person to view it, you cannot see very much, so I'm not sure what you mean by doing a search and seeing information.

Will check it out. Thought our scorekeeper said he was unable to "hide" features. Still was able to find team via Google search.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm constantly frustrated trying to follow things on GC because so much of it is only for paying people. I haven't messed with the settings much in iScore though, as far as privacy goes. I haven't had a coach yet who wanted to hide things from people, so I haven't had to look into it. I'm not sure what's available by default, since as the scorekeeper I can see it all.

Feb 7, 2013
One caveat about the electronic scorebook (or any scorebook for that matter) is that it's only as reliable as the person keeping score. For example, on DD team team two different parents keep score in game changer and it's fascinating to see the difference in how they score the game. One scorekeeper has a DD that plays short stop who made several errors one game but she ruled them hits. The other scorekeeper included the errors. I normally wouldn't care but when your DD is pitching the difference can be dramatic in ERA.

With that said, I have no problem with sharing all the season stats with anyone who wants to see them. I like transparency.

Mar 9, 2015
I'm constantly frustrated trying to follow things on GC because so much of it is only for paying people. I haven't messed with the settings much in iScore though, as far as privacy goes. I haven't had a coach yet who wanted to hide things from people, so I haven't had to look into it. I'm not sure what's available by default, since as the scorekeeper I can see it all.

With past experience, parents would question batting order because the player had a good game and try to justify it with stats. The coach is planning to share the stats with players periodically but doesn't want anything public. As for our scorekeeper, we are fortunate to have two very good scorekeepers who know the rules. If a play is in question, they will ask the ump and/or coaches for assistance to make sure the stats are as accurate as possible. We had a few instances this past season where wasn't sure on how to score it...pulled out rulebook and went back and made correction.

Thanks for all the help will forward this information back to our coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00