Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Not calling anyone out here, but do your players really hit over .600 on their teams? In my experience, that is really elite hitting. I am guessing that either
- They don't have enough at bats to be statistically relevant
- Scorekeepers (or parents) don't know what a fielder's choice or error is
- They really need to advance to the next level
- They should already be signed by a Top Tier D1 school
- I am just not that experienced in how good hitters really are out there

For reference, here are the hitting stats for the top 10 batting average players in all of Iowa this year (Over 3000 'regular' hitters). If you're really hitting over .550 that would be the top 0.5% of all hitters in the state.

1657280943391.png

Apr 20, 2015
The answer is no and college coaches are aware. A kiddo might hit that for a tournament because they were really hot that weekend but over the course of a season…I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Is this high school or travel ball? I know some high level travel ball players who hit close to that in high school. Of course, the scorekeeper is rather generous. Travel ball? No way. If they are, they need to move up to the next level.

May 27, 2022
Is this high school or travel ball? I know some high level travel ball players who hit close to that in high school. Of course, the scorekeeper is rather generous. Travel ball? No way. If they are, they need to move up to the next level.
These stats are for Iowa High School games. I noted in another thread that all coaches in Iowa High School are required to input their stats every week. Regionals started this week so this would reflect all regular season games.

Aug 6, 2013
I am the scorekeeper for daughter's high school team. I am also the scorekeeper for her travel team. The highest average for a player on her hs team was .450 and daughter was in the low .300's. As I've stated in many other threads - she hits atrocious in high school. In her travel season she is hitting probably in the .400's. In 12 games at IDT against truly stellar competition she hit .495 and she hit 1.000 against NE Gold National. I have seen the opposite among many other players on her team - girls who were all state with batting averages above .500 in HS and can't hit .200 in travel - I think that is way more common that what we see Haley do for sure.

I'm a pretty tough scorekeeper so maybe that is why the high school team batting averages were lower. I probably didn't do our players any favors when it came to all district, region and state selections.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The ones that are circled could be legit. You can't pencil whip HR's. BUT look at those K's. My take on this. Iowa's premiere players are playing TB during the summer and are foregoing HS ball. The best pitchers are also not playing HS either. Yes the hits very well could be legit as well as the HR's but who are they hitting against???? I've seen plenty of strong girls whack the ball over the fence every other AB against front toss, but when they face someone throwing 60 plus, K city baby.

One of my points a few months ago, is you should have a certain number of AB's for your stats to count towards All Conference Awards. A .576 avg with 63 AB's vs a player who hit .427 with 120 AB's should not be given preference over the 2nd batter. IMO.

1657286496438.png

May 27, 2013
My dd did hit over .600 her senior year of HS. Coach kept the book. She was a slapper with good speed so at the HS level, she beat out a lot of ground balls. Her team played in an “ok” conference. Definitely not the strongest.

Her last year of TB she batted over .400 and they played a competitive schedule. A mix of top teams in our region, good teams, and some “ok” teams.

Her freshman year of college this year she batted over .400 which lead her team in a strong D3 conference.

I’d say to take HS averages with a grain of salt. TB probably is a better indicator if they play on a good team against above average competition.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Meh...I've personally seen hitters who were legit .600+ in HS. I remember a kid who graduated in 2019...she was the best FP hitter I've ever seen and she went to a top D-1 program, but (apparently) couldn't hack the academics. She ended up with a good JUCO program and tore it up there. I see ROEs listed, so the scorekeeper seems to know what that is. If you get a good hitter, especially a fast runner, working against lower-level pitching and defense, I can see how this could happen. I also see lots of BBs/HBPs and very low numbers of Ks...a good indication of shakey pitching. Even DD had periods of .600+ hitting...she just couldn't sustain it over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00