Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
You sure about that? Because the scoring rules actually say to give batters the benefit of the doubt in many situations. Nowhere do they say to be "tough."
Yes, I am sure about that. What I mean by "tough" is doing the job properly, without regard to whether it helps or hurts your players batting or fielding average. There is "benefit of the doubt" and there is "cheating to help your players achieve stats they don't deserve". They are not the same thing. I hope you are not the latter.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes, I am sure about that. What I mean by "tough" is doing the job properly, without regard to whether it helps or hurts your players batting or fielding average. There is "benefit of the doubt" and there is "cheating to help your players achieve stats they don't deserve". They are not the same thing. I hope you are not the latter.
Gotcha. I agree with you.

There are plenty of "close" ones, and usually I defer to the quality of the team we are and the teams we play. I give out a lot of "reluctant hits" (for both teams), but I also find that even doing that, I'm a lot tougher than other coaches when I see what they put on GameChanger.

May 27, 2022
The girl with 19 HR, 24 BB, 3 HBP, 51 RBI and only struck out 2x in just over 100 AB. Has to be the State player of the year. Where she going to college?

In SW Ohio High School stats (in the better leagues) have to be reconciled by the opposing team before posting.
Here are some examples.
Cincinnati big school D1 League page https://gmcsports.com/
DII League page https://eccsports.com/
Small school page http://www.chlsports.com/
Multi school Dayton league page http://www.gwocsports.com/

Like others have stated, high BA has got a lot to do with # of AB and who you play. With that said.... The true hitters do it at the next level as well....

Just one example:
Lakota EAST High School and Northwestern standout, BIG10 player of the year and NFCA player of the year 2022 Rachel Lewis hit over .600 her senior year vs. some of the top pitching talent in the state of Ohio, KY and Indiana.
In her league (GMC) she did this vs. pitchers that were going to DI programs, Texas, EKU, NKU, Miami, Toledo, The out of state pitching from powerhouse schools Ballard and Roncalli ended up at Louisville, and IUPUI....

Rachel Lewis LE high school Stat page: https://gmcsports.com/bsPlayerStats.aspx?player=414167
18U PGF Championship stats http://baseball.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1162365&seasonid=31007
Northwestern stat page: https://nusports.com/sports/softball/stats/2022

FWIW, that girl just finished 6/11 (.545) in the Iowa High School State Tournament (I assume she faced good pitching and defenses there).

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
You can't EVER trust stats IMO. I've seen teams that count everything a hit and the kids have high averages. Seen HR's scored and they count a bunt back to the pitcher with a bunch of errors (not scored) and give them a HR....LOL!!! Errors too are hilarious! A kid gets a ball thrown 10 feet over their head and the scorekeeper gives them the error, not the person throwing it. I've learned to not trust them for the most part.
I recently looked at another team's GC plays for a game. Girl was scored as getting a triple off a bunt (to catcher) and the runner on base was counted out at home. So not really sure what actually happened. Other team scored it a single to catcher - other runner out at home and batter made it to third. IMO - it sounds like a FC more than anything -not sure if the C tried to throw to first though.

Last tourney I was at - I could see another game happening and I saw a girl get a hit, made it to third - ball gets thrown wildly and she scores on the play. It was ruled a HR by the scorer - when she literally stopped at 3rd :rolleyes:

May 27, 2022
I recently looked at another team's GC plays for a game. Girl was scored as getting a triple off a bunt (to catcher) and the runner on base was counted out at home. So not really sure what actually happened. Other team scored it a single to catcher - other runner out at home and batter made it to third. IMO - it sounds like a FC more than anything -not sure if the C tried to throw to first though.

Last tourney I was at - I could see another game happening and I saw a girl get a hit, made it to third - ball gets thrown wildly and she scores on the play. It was ruled a HR by the scorer - when she literally stopped at 3rd :rolleyes:

I get that travel ball teams have a lot of immature parents trying to score games. That is why my wife and I started doing it - to get it right. BUT,
1. to the core of my original question, it sounds like most of us are very doubtful that more than a very small % of DD's are hitting over .600
2. I would think that any HS coach would know the right way to score and get it right.
3. I wouldn't trust just any GC account. There are some that the coach doesn't know about - just a random parent that is doing it for their spouse to watch.
4. For those of us in the know, it is hard to understand how those who don't know any better score it the way they do... :rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2016
Luckily a lot of teams livestream their games on GC now. Before at least 1/2 of the GC accounts were only good for knowing the situation, score and the inning..

May 27, 2013
GC is such a joke with the stats. There is actually a head coach of a “National Level” team in my area who has gone in to GC and actually changed almost every game’s scores to reflect them winning when they didn’t. So at first glance it looks like they won but if you click to see the actual box score you find it isn’t the case. The lengths some coaches go to…….blows my mind!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
2. I would think that any HS coach would know the right way to score and get it right.

You would think that. Then, there's the coach at my DD's HS. However, the scoring has been handled by a knowledgeable and capable parent who has been in the game for many years.

Apr 27, 2020
I get that travel ball teams have a lot of immature parents trying to score games. That is why my wife and I started doing it - to get it right. BUT,
1. to the core of my original question, it sounds like most of us are very doubtful that more than a very small % of DD's are hitting over .600
3. I wouldn't trust just any GC account. There are some that the coach doesn't know about - just a random parent that is doing it for their spouse to watch.
4. For those of us in the know, it is hard to understand how those who don't know any better score it the way they do... :rolleyes:
Manny college coaches and even in the pro coaches do not know how to properly keep score. (Its not their job for the most part)...
Our area High school leagues stats are reconciled between the two teams score keepers prior to posting. If any discrepancy it goes to the league director so I would say our HS stats are far more accurate than most travel ball stats.
Its amazing how many areas #1 do not have a good web stats and 2 even an online forum to post stats. Max preps etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles